cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof problem?

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to get an opinion on a roof issue. In a couple spots on my roof it looks like what appears to be the top of staples pushing up from under the rubber of the roof,not the sharp part but the top of them making the roof pushed up higher in those spots. Just looking for thoughts about it should I leave it alone or maybe try to push them back into place. Don't want any holes in the roof thanks.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS
12 REPLIES 12

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips now i'll just have to decide what to do!
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that it has been over a week and the OP has not been back?
??? I do not see anything sinister here. He has recieved some advice, and now he has a roof to fix.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone else noticed that it has been over a week and the OP has not been back?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JG
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at getting the whole roof redone. Seems like you are chasing problems.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
me.camper wrote:
Hoping to get an opinion on a roof issue. In a couple spots on my roof it looks like what appears to be the top of staples pushing up from under the rubber of the roof,not the sharp part but the top of them making the roof pushed up higher in those spots. Just looking for thoughts about it should I leave it alone or maybe try to push them back into place. Don't want any holes in the roof thanks.
pushing them back in will risk damaging the membrane, and they will just back out again anyway. You can monitor the situation for trouble or slit the roof now to remove them and patch it with eternabond or dicor.

Yeah! I agree with you

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do ya remember the brass
carpet tacks that had gripping ridges on the sides , on my trailer any time something comes loose up there I tack it down and cover with eternabond , staples and/or bubbles . My toyhauler has been fixed that way for eleven years !

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
I have a slight variation on the above themes. The staple is backing out, it won't get better. If you are going to eternabond it, then fix the problem first. Cut a small slit in the roof and pull out the staple. Drill a pilot hole in the slit and replace the staple with a stainless steel screw. Seal the slit with eternabond. The eternabond will keep it from leaking, and the screw will re-secure the roof to the joist with little risk of backing out again.

To me, this is the answer. Are you going to check the roof every day? Why not fix it now and not worry about it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a slight variation on the above themes. The staple is backing out, it won't get better. If you are going to eternabond it, then fix the problem first. Cut a small slit in the roof and pull out the staple. Drill a pilot hole in the slit and replace the staple with a stainless steel screw. Seal the slit with eternabond. The eternabond will keep it from leaking, and the screw will re-secure the roof to the joist with little risk of backing out again.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with Huntingdog. If it came out from original install, it will come out easier next time, if you manage to get it back in.

I'd leave it, check later, if it wears through, deal with it then. Dicor or eternabond repair.

Jerry

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Don't make it harder than it needs to be. You know where the potential issue is. Just put a piece of eternabond over the spot where the staple is. After cleaning and prepping of course. Now you can easily "see" where the tape/staple is and you know not to step on that spot. If nobody steps on that spot it would take many years for the staple to wear through the membrane and the eternabond.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If some of the staples are popping up now, the rest or most of the rest will follow IMO. Temporary fixes could work if you are very diligent. Keep a role of EternaBond tape handy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
me.camper wrote:
pushing them back in will risk damaging the membrane, and they will just back out again anyway. You can monitor the situation for trouble or slit the roof now to remove them and patch it with eternabond or dicor.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW