cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber or aluminum roof

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Are there reasons why most travel trailers have a rubber roof not aluminum. Aluminum roofs on trucks and homes last longer in all seasons and less prone to damage. I would not think weight to be a major issue. I am talking light aluminum not heavy duty metal.

When replacing their roof have people considered aluminum. Is it feasible.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS
18 REPLIES 18

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them all, it would seem an all fiberglass roof or aluminum is best. Currently all aluminum on a camplite.

All the comments are interesting. I have no idea what kind they are, but in heavy cross winds, and usually a 5ver, the roof is pulling away from the rig. Always going in the opposite direction so warning them is tough.Looks like a big balloon.

I suspect not a good day for them.

Brian_B1
Explorer
Explorer
my 96 coachman has a 1 piece aluminum roof. Yes..it is dented from whatever treatment the previous owners did..but no leaks.
96 coachman catalina 198CB Ultra-Lite. 19'-11" long, 7'-10" wide, and 8'-9" tall (plus AC) as well as a borrowed truck.

ScottBob
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 2014 Forest River Work and Play toy hauler. It has a single sheet aluminum roof, like a cargo trailer. The problem with an aluminum roof is that it absorbs heat much more than rubber over wood construction of most trailers nowadays. I understand a common modification is to paint the roof with white "snow-roof" paint to reflect the sun's heat, and making it easier for the air conditioner to cool down the inside.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
trailmanor uses Al-foam-Al for its roof and walls.
foam is about one inch thick.
very strong, you can kneel on it.
But does dimple with hail, and scrapes.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rig with an aluminum roof, it is 42 yrs. old and not leaking.
Ideally, a single sheet of vinyl coated aluminum would last a long time.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The thing about rubber is that it is so thin, it can get a hole punched through it very easily. Combine that with the fact that the seals are at corners that get wind (which is almost like a pressure washer action), and it is no wonder why it is only a matter of time until a RV with a rubber roof self-destructs.

My ideal roof would be one piece aluminum that is "cupped" around the edges and corners, so water getting in past a seal on the sides of the rig doesn't mean an instant leak, unlike rubber roofs. Then the items on the roof are installed (A/C flange, skylights, vents, etc. Finally, the entire roof is then masked and sprayed with an epoxy based elastomer sealant (rvroof.com, Rhino Linings.) The result would be a one piece roof with no need to worry about caulk or Eternabond, and even if scratched by a tree branch, the roof likely will still be watertight unless the branch punctures the metal or knocks a vent off.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
kaz442 wrote:
... snipped ... One piece aluminum roof some eternabond tape on all seems and vents and no worry. My unit is 24 yes old and no leaks. JKaz

I concur. My unit is 21 years old with a one piece aluminum roof. It had the original seal and one "redo" job with liquid sealant .... the type that dries hard and cracks.

I just finished scraping, sanding down as much as I could of the old stuff, washed everything down with "9 Lives" commercial cleaner, prepped it all with isopropyl alcohol and then used 3M's Extreme Sealing Tape. (3" width, 2 mil thick). It works awesome.

3M Extreme Sealing Tape Linky

Aluminum pitting can happen even in open areas where dirt is not trapped ... sometimes it's just the wind action and the road dust/fine debris that acts as a comstant sandblaster on your roof.

Best solution is always maintenance. Wash your roof with a good cleaner at the beginning, middle and end of your season. That should be enough to avoid most major surprises and costly repairs. ~ Bugjr ~
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
One piece aluminum roof some eternabond tape on all seems and vents and no worry. My unit is 24 yes old and no leaks. Only thing I check is the AC gasket a few times a season.

JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu

kmiickel
Explorer
Explorer
my previous tt was 29 years old when I sold and the aluminum roof was still in great shape. other than caulking vents every few years and parking it outside for four seasons I believe an aluminum roof will outlast any rubber roof

renopker
Explorer
Explorer
I used 1 piece fiberglass I wouldn't use Rubber on a doghouse rubber is used because its cheap and can be run around the corner stapled down and trimmed. It tears easily (tree branches) has to be treated regularly.
98 12v,cummins Homemade Camper trailerclick to see camper build

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 94 Dutchmen with a solid alum roof for 18 yrs. Loved it. Very minimal maint, even after a hail storm totaled the rig it was still as usable as the day it was new. I know it was the dimpled golf ball effect that made it easier to pull and not the insurance check.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know how many still use it today, but if and when I need a new roof it will be single sheet aluminum… key words being single sheet…

The two I have with aluminum roofs are a 1990 and a 1991 respectively… our climate has harsh winters and a lot of hot sunny days and cool nights in the summers and a lot of rain most of the year… maintenance on these roofs is almost nonexistent…

Over the years I have had a least 6 trailers with single sheet aluminum roofs and not once have I had a leak… calking is no different than the rubber but with the aluminum roof the types of caulk are less limiting and easier to clean, apply, and remove… all I can say is I have never had roof leaks caused by hail with any roofing material…

It’s not used as much today because of its cost and rubber instillation is much easier to do…

None of my comments are meant to take anything from rubber roofs, they are similar in many ways but they wear out quicker than aluminum…

I won’t even get into TPO...
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
Having both, I very much prefer solid sheet aluminum…

But I think it is getting harder to find a tt w/ an aluminum roof. Are there very many out there still being made today?

I'm not sure if the whole KZ spree series has aluminum roofs but the roof on my Escape model e204s is aluminum.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I don't agree that a aluminum roof lasts longer than a rubber roof.

Early rvs/house trailers had painted galvanized steel exteriors. The industry modernized to aluminum exteriors and some folks grumbled that aluminum wasn't tough enough.
Now the industry has modernized again to a better product such as rubber type roof materials and non metallic exteriors.
I had my own rv/mobilehome repair service some years back with exterior repair/structure as our speciality. I've also worked in a mobilhome assy plant for 5 1/2 years much of the time with aluminum exteriors.
Aluminum roofs require more servicing/maintaining over the years especially in areas with lots of sun days and cool nites. Aluminum grows and shrinks which stresses sealants around roof jacks/lap joints and other screwed down roof fixtures.
Hail is another problem for aluminum exteriors. Our last big hail storm hit a large RV dealer. All the new and used RVs on the lot with aluminum roofs had to be reskinned with a rubber roof material. Rubber roof units sitting next to them had no issues.

The new rubber roofs don't have those problems. I'll take a new gen rubber roof over aluminum roof material any day.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides