cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV 3 way refrigerator

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
My RV frig is dead, the guy I bought the trailer from said it worked one day the next it didn't. I have been looking for a refrigerator for a year, they seem to be made of gold. Even the used crappy ones on Craigslist are $700. New ones are $1200 yikes almost more than I paid for my used trailer 😃

Is there a place online to find used rv refrigerators that won't break the bank ?? thanks for any info.
20 REPLIES 20

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sondy132001 wrote:
My RV frig is dead, the guy I bought the trailer from said it worked one day the next it didn't. I have been looking for a refrigerator for a year, they seem to be made of gold. Even the used crappy ones on Craigslist are $700. New ones are $1200 yikes almost more than I paid for my used trailer 😃

Is there a place online to find used rv refrigerators that won't break the bank ?? thanks for any info.

Have you tried to operate it?

Does it turn ON?

What does it do....what does it not do?

They are not complicated..........power/heat source/liquid-vapor-liquid cycle.
Sometimes it is just a fuse/bad connection.....sometimes a control module.....sometimes the cooling unit.

But.....'fridge is dead' doesn't describe much.

Replacement cooling units can be purchased for >$500

And there are RV Salvage Yards
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

oakbowery
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't use the propane part of the fridge (which we don't) then I'd suggest just installing a $300 fridge from Lowes. That's what my father did in his camper when the fridge went out. We never dry camp and generally camp within a few hours of the house. He's yet to run into a situation where the food isn't still nice and cold even after a two or three hour drive (as long as you keep it sealed it'll generally stay cold several hours). Luckily my factory fridge hasn't died yet, but I suspect I'll do the same when it does. On my father's we just re-worked the wood framing around the fridge. It actually looks nicer now than before in my opinion. I'll post a pic of it this weekend as the whole family will be at the lake. My father was in the same position as you and didn't want to spend $1200 for a fridge.
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins w/ 4:10 Rear
2009 Cherokee 31B TT

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can replace the cooling unit for less than $500,probably alot less with an older unit. I replaced one a few years ago for less than $400 and it was like new again.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
yeah I'll do that, see if it's an easy fix ! It's a Norcold 874, from 1982 😃 I do have a manual for it.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for the model number and try to find an owner's guide. I have a Norcold and was able to find a troubleshooting chart. I used that to test and find my problem.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you taken it to an RV shop to be looked at? I might be some $25 fix?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.