cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Battery Questions

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer
hey guys, I am struggling with what to do with my RV battery while the trailer is in storage during the summer, i could build a lock for it which would just slow someone down or is it safe to just disconnect the battery and put it in the under bed storage at the front of my trailer out of sight? I would rather not bring it back and forth to my house , i do not have a garage to store it in.

Thanks
Justin
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you truly wish to fully charge it--168 hours would work.

To quickly charge from an alternator requires extraordinary measures.

Start with beefing up the charging path to #4 wire.

Next would be an external diode fastened to the alternator.

Or a DC to DC converter to boost charging voltage to 14.8. Place the unit as close to the "house" battery bank as is possible without it being in the same compartment.

oil8390 wrote:
sorry one more question, when the trailer is plugged into my truck, how long would it take for battery to charge while driving down the road?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most storage yards recommend you take it home.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on how low the state of charge is. It could easily take 8 hours or it could take an hour. No one can tell you. I fou charge it for awhile then let it sit for an hour or two with no load connected it will lose it's surface charge and you will then be able to a more accurate state of charge voltage which when fully charged is 12.6 to 12.7

You want the battery to be fully charged when storing it. If fully charged it will be good for months. I'd set it a pan or plastic tray just in case. Sulfuric acid eats everything.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
While charging or just after charging a battery will emit combustible and corrosive gases .......

Not if it is a sealed AGM type it won't.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
oil8390 wrote:
sorry one more question, when the trailer is plugged into my truck, how long would it take for battery to charge while driving down the road?

That depends on a lot of factors but the most important ones are:
What the capacity of the battery IS and how low the charge is when you start out.

Regardless of where you put it when not in use, the important part is keeping it (near to) fully charged.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
While charging or just after charging a battery will emit combustible and corrosive gases so storage in an enclosed compartment is possible but the battery should sit outside after charging before putting it in the compartment. The shower idea is good.

Your trailer battery will charge in an hour to a few hours while driving depending on how drained it is.

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I used to put mine in an old rectangular cake pan and set it in the shower.