cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Cover Brand Recommendations?

MtView
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any RV covers that ventilate well and hold up to snow /wind better than others? I was about to pull the trigger on an ADCO contour fit and I read more than a few reviews where they seemed to rip very easily. One review stated it ripped "like toilet paper".

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

MtView
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the advice!

MtView
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
MtView wrote:
Are there any RV covers that ventilate well and hold up to snow /wind better than others? I was about to pull the trigger on an ADCO contour fit and I read more than a few reviews where they seemed to rip very easily. One review stated it ripped "like toilet paper".

Of course - you read it on the internet so it must be true. :R

I've owned 3 different ADCO covers for 3 different trailers and never had any issues with any, will buy another soon for our current rig which for unrelated reasons may have to live outdoors this winter rather than be stored indoors as it was last winter.

I ended up with the ADCO tyvek contour fit. Sometimes there is too much info in the reviews. What kind of ADCO do you use?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
I had an adco, lasted for about 5 years. finally the sides started to break down from sunlight. I like it, gave good protection, good fit, but they are heavy, bulky and hard to handle and store. It was not a one person job to put it on or take it off. And it took a LARGE garbage can to store it.

So... when I replaced it my local dealer recomended the classic accesories perma pro cover. It's now 4 years old and doing well, at least as good as the adco. Advantage is much easier to put on, much lighter weight, easy to store, actually fits in the bag it came in, and better placement of side zippers and back zippers.

Having owned an ADCO Tyvek Designer series cover previously I'd most likely buy another BUT the Classic PermaPro sure is an interesting alternative as it's made of 1-ply ripstop woven polyester, which is probably why it's much lighter. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty but the downside is that here in Canada it's noticeably more expensive than an equivalent size ADCO Tyvek. Tempting though.

pick one up next time your down south to the U.S. !

seriously, IMHO either is a very good cover. both have advantages and disadvantages, pick which works best for YOU.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I had an adco, lasted for about 5 years. finally the sides started to break down from sunlight. I like it, gave good protection, good fit, but they are heavy, bulky and hard to handle and store. It was not a one person job to put it on or take it off. And it took a LARGE garbage can to store it.

So... when I replaced it my local dealer recomended the classic accesories perma pro cover. It's now 4 years old and doing well, at least as good as the adco. Advantage is much easier to put on, much lighter weight, easy to store, actually fits in the bag it came in, and better placement of side zippers and back zippers.

Having owned an ADCO Tyvek Designer series cover previously I'd most likely buy another BUT the Classic PermaPro sure is an interesting alternative as it's made of 1-ply ripstop woven polyester, which is probably why it's much lighter. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty but the downside is that here in Canada it's noticeably more expensive than an equivalent size ADCO Tyvek. Tempting though.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer

Downside is the Adco was a very good fit for length, the length break was right at my length. The Classic accy has a few extra feet at the back that gets folded back.

My preference is the Classic accy. I can easily put it on or take it off myself. easy to handle and seems to be holding up as well as the adco.

As others mentioned good life comes with good prep. cover sharp edges, make sure the cover is snug but not to tight.

Adco and many mfg use a mat of plastic on the sides it's not woven together. So if it deteriorates or tears it keeps going. The classic accy uses ripstop nylon for the sides. so sunlight doesn't degrade it as fast, and if it gets a tear it will stop.

IMHO either brand is good, pick what's important to you.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Sunshield tarp with the black side up on the winter. Search this Forum for `sunshield' to read more of my posts.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Wishin wrote:
I've had 2 trailers and have had 2 ADCO covers. The first trailer I had for 6 years and had the same cover for 6 years, it had one small tear. The 2nd trailer, I just put the cover on for the 4th winter. It has holes in a few corners that I've repaired. I think the biggest difference is the newer trailer has gutters that stick out on each corner that make it a challenge to keep them from wearing out the corners and sticking thru. I've found a tennis ball with a hole in it stuck over the spouts and then "Residue Free" 3M Duct tape holding the balls on and creating a ramp, up-down, left-right, out to the ball works best. I also use the same duct tape to cover all sharp spots on the trailer, and there are a lot of them. Corners of all windows, door trim, cargo door latches, etc. It is a lot of work to prep the trailer so it doesn't cut up the cover, but it works. The cover came with some small padded gutter spout covers, those did not work. Trailer prep is key to getting the cover to survive.

X2-- You are exactly right on the PREP to keep your cover lasing for several years more than the 2 or 3 yr warranty. I have had 2 ADCO covers. Learned the hard way on not prepping all my sharp corners and the rain gutters enough and ruined the first cover in 2 winters...but ADCO made good on their 2 yr warranty and I got another one which was the deluxe " All weather plus wind" with tyvec roof by just paying the $100 difference. It has a few small tears from sharp edges but I used pool noodle cut up for the rain gutters and much better!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
MtView wrote:
One review stated it ripped "like toilet paper".

Generally New England weather is mild in the summer but in the south west the sun is a big factor and the ADCO does resemble toilet paper after about 3 years or less like mine did.

I would never purchase one again but maybe it's all about the weather it's exposed to. As I recall the reviews on Camping World were great but Amazon was a completely different story.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MtView wrote:

Of course - you read it on the internet so it must be true. :R

I've owned 3 different ADCO covers for 3 different trailers and never had any issues with any, will buy another soon for our current rig which for unrelated reasons may have to live outdoors this winter rather than be stored indoors as it was last winter.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I was happy with my ADCO cover. We used it for 12 years or 13 years and it kept the TT clean and protected from our long lousy winters.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 2 trailers and have had 2 ADCO covers. The first trailer I had for 6 years and had the same cover for 6 years, it had one small tear. The 2nd trailer, I just put the cover on for the 4th winter. It has holes in a few corners that I've repaired. I think the biggest difference is the newer trailer has gutters that stick out on each corner that make it a challenge to keep them from wearing out the corners and sticking thru. I've found a tennis ball with a hole in it stuck over the spouts and then "Residue Free" 3M Duct tape holding the balls on and creating a ramp, up-down, left-right, out to the ball works best. I also use the same duct tape to cover all sharp spots on the trailer, and there are a lot of them. Corners of all windows, door trim, cargo door latches, etc. It is a lot of work to prep the trailer so it doesn't cut up the cover, but it works. The cover came with some small padded gutter spout covers, those did not work. Trailer prep is key to getting the cover to survive.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

LewMichele_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
I like this one better than the Adco I had. It is heavier though. I have the truck camper cover.

http://www.rvcoversprotect.com/goldline-travel-trailer
'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'06 Arctic Fox 811

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...