cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Gen 3.5 EcoBoost and 10 Speed Transmission

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same horse power and torque is up to 450ft/lbs. Also a duel fuel system and a servo controlled waste gate.

This engine appears to raise the bar on pulling performance and fuel economy could raise the bar on gas engines.

The 10 speed appears to be equally an impressive piece that is a very compact package.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
78 REPLIES 78

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:

I looked up the ratios on the new 10 speed and the ratios of my 6sp(Ford) and in 10th speed I would be going 109 rpm slower 1740 vs 1850
at 68 mph(garmin) 70mph speedo.
Wont be trading the Ford soon:h

They will most likely run taller gear ratios as well, which will make use of the lower gears in the new transmission, and also result in an even taller effective overall ratio.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
hemismith wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
At some point does the high number of gears in a tranny become an annoyance due to gear hunting? I've heard a few complaints on the Ram 8spd for this. I'm currently in a 6sp which, when I was a kid, was 3 more gears than the best tranny 🙂 10 just seems ridiculous.

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if they'll skip gears under light load.

I looked up the ratios on the new 10 speed and the ratios of my 6sp(Ford) and in 10th speed I would be going 109 rpm slower 1740 vs 1850

There is only so much OD a vehicle can carry before there is a lack of power to hold that gear or downshift. But now you can get lower starting gears and closer differentials between gears helping to keep the vehicle in the powerband or sweet spot for fuel economy.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
At some point does the high number of gears in a tranny become an annoyance due to gear hunting? I've heard a few complaints on the Ram 8spd for this. I'm currently in a 6sp which, when I was a kid, was 3 more gears than the best tranny 🙂 10 just seems ridiculous.

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I bet the 10 gears are to cover as many conditions as possible,light /heavy/ loaded / different speeds /hills etc .
Doubt if if will run through every gear every time.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
hemismith wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

Skipping/ starting in a higher gear would not be surprising ,my 12 speed starts in third (load sensing) then 5.7.10 .12.

Better than freightliner, even Bob tailing the highest gear they start in is 2nd.

How many over drive gears is the Ford 10 speed going to have? If it's more than two I think would be prone to hunting more.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
... But turbos do not an engine make...

Turbos make all the diesel owners proud. 🙂 Without them the oil burners would be the wheezing pigs they used to be.

Personally, I'd like to see Ford add a couple of cylinders to the 3.5 and make a 4.6 ecoboost. With 15# of boost it would have the sea level performance (and gas consumption) of the old 460 at any elevation while maintaining the unloaded economy of a small block.

V10 EcoBoost 600HP!

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

Skipping/ starting in a higher gear would not be surprising ,my 12 speed starts in third (load sensing) then 5.7.10 .12.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

Turbos make all the diesel owners proud. 🙂 Without them the oil burners would be the wheezing pigs they used to be.

Personally, I'd like to see Ford add a couple of cylinders to the 3.5 and make a 4.6 ecoboost. With 15# of boost it would have the sea level performance (and gas consumption) of the old 460 at any elevation while maintaining the unloaded economy of a small block.

Why on earth would you want to downgrade to the HP of a 460? The Ecoboost makes 100 to 150 more HP then that old boat anchor. In fact the Ecoboost already makes more HP then almost any big block ever put in a truck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:

Agreed.
Craig

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I think it's funny they felt the need to completely redesign a motor that is still fairly young and new and suppose to be indestructible. I like the transmission though. I would love to see a ten speed in the HD line ups with a 2 speed rear axle option.

Take a truck like my 2013 Ram. It would be the cat's meow if I could have 3.42:1 for my everyday ventures and then when I hook to my rig push a button and have 4.11:1.

Not sure why you consider making improvements on an engine that has been vehicles for over decade is funny. I would think it would be more funny or odd for a manufacturer in this technology driven age to wait for the competition to pass them and react.

The 3.5 Ecoboost has been in the F150 towing heavy loads (for a 1/2 ton series truck) for decades? Huh, new one for me. I thought it was an all new engine and technology for the F150.

🙂 Hi, I believe that he said for over a decade, which could mean eleven years. "for decades? Huh, new one for me." This engine started in the Taurus before the F-150.

It's not the same engine that was in the Taurus. Same displacement and has turbos yes but not the same.

🙂 Hi, other than having less torque, and being in a front wheel drive vehicle, what makes this a different engine? As far as I'm concerned, a few minor differences doesn't make it a different engine.

You are correct. The 3.5 had a few beefed up internals to handle the extra abuse expected in a pickup, but largely is the same engine in the Taurus. The heads flow a bit more and turbos are different. But turbos do not an engine make... As I understand it the only reason the sho was limited to 365 ft lbs was to save the driveline downstream of the engine.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I think it's funny they felt the need to completely redesign a motor that is still fairly young and new and suppose to be indestructible. I like the transmission though. I would love to see a ten speed in the HD line ups with a 2 speed rear axle option.

Take a truck like my 2013 Ram. It would be the cat's meow if I could have 3.42:1 for my everyday ventures and then when I hook to my rig push a button and have 4.11:1.

Not sure why you consider making improvements on an engine that has been vehicles for over decade is funny. I would think it would be more funny or odd for a manufacturer in this technology driven age to wait for the competition to pass them and react.

The 3.5 Ecoboost has been in the F150 towing heavy loads (for a 1/2 ton series truck) for decades? Huh, new one for me. I thought it was an all new engine and technology for the F150.

🙂 Hi, I believe that he said for over a decade, which could mean eleven years. "for decades? Huh, new one for me." This engine started in the Taurus before the F-150.

It's not the same engine that was in the Taurus. Same displacement and has turbos yes but not the same.

🙂 Hi, other than having less torque, and being in a front wheel drive vehicle, what makes this a different engine? As far as I'm concerned, a few minor differences doesn't make it a different engine.

This is what I copied from Popular Mechanics webpage:

"While it might be convenient to think that this is simply the Taurus SHO engine turned 90 degrees and dropped into the truck's cavernous engine bay, that would be completely wrong. The aluminum block is all new because it bolts to a different transmission from the front-wheel-drive applications. The engine also has stronger main bearings. Like all 2011 F-150 powertrains, the 3.5 liter is matched to Ford's six-speed automatic. Additional major differences between the engines include unique heads that feature individual cam phasers for both intake and exhaust; the fixed-geometry turbochargers flow more and produce more boost (13 psi versus 10.5 psi); the main cooling system is upgraded.

These changes enable the F-150's version of the EcoBoost to deliver:

• 365 horsepower at 5000 rpm (on regular fuel)
• 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2500 rpm (up to 90 percent of peak torque from 1700 rpm to 5000 rpm)
• 11,300 pounds maximum trailer-towing capacity "

From my own understanding the ecoboost in the F150 had to be built "stronger" for the increased duty-cycle or durability for the truck that would not be seen in the car.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400