cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seemingly unsafe location of water pump?

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys take a look at this. I was pulling some panels apart a to troubleshoot my solar panels and I found my water pump next to a lot of electrical components, this cannot be safe ?

20 REPLIES 20

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
The Amish Craftsmanship you don't see until you remove the "lipstick" offn the "pig".

How did the Amish get involved?

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
The Amish Craftsmanship you don't see until you remove the "lipstick" offn the "pig".

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water and electricity isn't the problem. It's water and the corrosion that it makes. Actually electricity and corrosion isn't a super bad problem. Now, talk about electricity and high resistance and you have a problem. High resistance 12v connections caused by corrosion, with lots of amps available can create heat. Heat can cause fires. If that all happens, they you have a real problem.

Oh, and that does happen. Not often certainly. But then, how many times do you really want it to happen?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
People have this idea that the presence of electricity near water equals electrocution, period. The whole thing of pouring water on something electrical and everyone in the vicinity being fried like chicken only happens in cartoons and low budget action movies.

The conditions where it's dangerous are pretty specific. As with anything electrical you need a circuit, in the case of AC, a path to ground. For example, standing in a puddle of water and touching an improperly wired fixture. With 12V DC you won't even feel it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is very messy and that definitely bothers my OCD. I’ll clean it up eventually. But for now I got bigger fish to fry, like where I’m going to mount my inverter and my lithium battery bank. Will make a new thread with photos and try to get some more eyes on this.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It's normal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just to clarify, water pumps typically run on 12V-DC in an RV not AC. Low voltage DC is not anywhere near as dangerous as AC with respect to a human. That block sure looks like it could be AC with copper and white cable. That being said, I’ve never seen someone use an uncovered AC block, so it could be DC. RVs I’ve seen usually use red/black for 12V. It might be worth calling/emailing Eagle Cap to see what that block is.

You are always going to at least have the DC connectors to the water pump because that’s how it’s powered. Not that I’ve seen every water pump install in every RV, but I’ve never seen one in a compartment with many other connections either AC or DC. That will be a pain to replace in the future if needed.

Not that my Host didn’t use the minimum length of cable which annoys me, but it’s much cleaner than that. They obviously didn’t expect anyone to ever work/add to the wiring or tap into the subpanel. I guess that’s ok considering none of the factory plugs/lights have failed in the 15 years I’ve had it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Show me an RV that doesn’t look like that in its “unseen” cubbyholes.

The only reason mine looks somewhat orderly in those areas is because I cleaned them up.

Under my galley sink is a combination of water lines, drain plumbing, water heater, water pump, jack controller, DC-DC charger, propane line, high and low voltage wiring, CB’s, fuses and switches all in close proximity. I keep a close eye on that area for leaks, and in the almost 20 years that I’ve owned this camper there have been a few.

Just part of the package.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
What brand of camper? What year of camper?

It’s an Eagle Cap. Scary.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
What brand of camper? What year of camper?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that the water pump runs on electricity. Water and electricity are intimately close to each other. Having said that, I wonder if the tech at the factory is proud of that wiring and plumbing job. Typical factory work.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Don't look at the rats nest behind the converter, you might stroke out if you do. Why worry, don't you have an RVIA seal telling you how all plumbing, HVAC, and electrical along with fire safety is up to snuff? It is because they said so. What is the copper line? Propane?

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
That pump doesn't look too bad, it's screwed in place so it's not going anywhere.

More concerning is that black controller box that doesn't look like it's mounted to anything at all so it's free to flop around, supported only by the wires.

And it's hard to tell from the picture if those terminals that plug into it are covered by clear plastic or if they are bare. But if they are bare, I'd put some electrical tape over them.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
The water pump doesn't concern me. But overall it doesn't look very orderly at all.
The way the jack controller rests loosely on some balled up wires doesn't look very reassuring.
What camper is that?
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow