cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

?Short bed camper...Newbie

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
After 38 years as ER Doc, I am approaching retirement,new to truck campers. I just bought 2015 Dodge 3500 crew cab with short bed(6'4'' ?)I'm starting to shop used campers. I understand a bit about COG issues.Will the COG be part of the specs of a camper? When a seller says it's OK for a short bed ,how can I determine if that's right. Are there specs etc I can check to determine if it's compatable with my truck? How does one determine if you'll need airbags,leveling kit, and what are fast guns?. I'm obviously a bit slow on the draw.Thanks for any help
27 REPLIES 27

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
work2fish wrote:
Congrats on the retirement! I have 34 years at my employer and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think you've chosen a good truck and now have to make a few decisions about the type of camping you want to do. I went through the same process a while back and you can read my post here.

I ended up choosing a popup which I hardly know is back there except for the occasional squeeking :). In my case I wanted to be able to hit four wheel drive trails, keep the camper light, pull a boat and make only minor mods to the truck. I bought the Torklift frame-mounted tiedowns which I would recommend and agree with most folks on CG not being too much of an issue if you get a SB camper. I also prefer the cassette toilet as I can dump most anywhere in a pinch and it helps me keep to my nomadic self.

Good luck and, again, congrats on your retirement.

Mike

Thanks

work2fish
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the retirement! I have 34 years at my employer and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think you've chosen a good truck and now have to make a few decisions about the type of camping you want to do. I went through the same process a while back and you can read my post here.

I ended up choosing a popup which I hardly know is back there except for the occasional squeeking :). In my case I wanted to be able to hit four wheel drive trails, keep the camper light, pull a boat and make only minor mods to the truck. I bought the Torklift frame-mounted tiedowns which I would recommend and agree with most folks on CG not being too much of an issue if you get a SB camper. I also prefer the cassette toilet as I can dump most anywhere in a pinch and it helps me keep to my nomadic self.

Good luck and, again, congrats on your retirement.

Mike
2011 Ford F-350, KR, 6.7L, 4X4, SRW, short bed
2007 Northstar 850SC truck camper
2002 Lund Fisherman 1700 w/ Suzuki DF140

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Or just go to the source of these products:

[url]http://www.torklift.com/

Thanks for that

Bedlam
Or just go to the source of these products:

http://www.torklift.com/

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just a suggestion, but throwing some of these terms into Google Images will give you visual aids to help in your understanding.

Search smartly, though. "Fastguns" by itself will probably result in pictures of firearms, or cowboy action shooting. With "truck camper fastguns" you will get what you're looking for. Same goes for "Supertruss." Try "truck camper supertruss" and you will get what you're looking for.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Ya, you can have a plug for the camper lights wired in towards the front of the bed or just build or buy an extension cord that plugs into the OE trailer plug on the truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
nomadictxn wrote:
Congrats on the new truck Doc, and welcome to the forum. Airbags are not a requirement, just one of the ways you can deal with certain issues. As recommended earlier, try the camper out first and see how it handles and then start addressing any problems from there. You could bring them up on the forum and get steered in the right direction. I think most folks would recommend torklift products for your tie down system as well as a thick rubber bed mat. Also a way to plug into the trucks electric connector and you can go from there.
Happy camper hunting!

Will do, Thanks

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
The Super-Truss extension is a hitch extension in case you want to tow something. With a camper that is longer than the truck bed, you will need a hitch that sticks out beyond that point. ie - we have 8 1/2 foot camper on 6 1/2 foot bed, so we have a 2ft (24inch) hitch extension so we can tow. Less overhang - shorter extension. The Super-Truss is kind of a double hitch, one on top of the other and chains that fasten to each side to limit side to side movement.

I hope this made sense.

It sure does,Thanks

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
The Super-Truss extension is a hitch extension in case you want to tow something. With a camper that is longer than the truck bed, you will need a hitch that sticks out beyond that point. ie - we have 8 1/2 foot camper on 6 1/2 foot bed, so we have a 2ft (24inch) hitch extension so we can tow. Less overhang - shorter extension. The Super-Truss is kind of a double hitch, one on top of the other and chains that fasten to each side to limit side to side movement.

I hope this made sense.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
8'2 Bigfoot on a 98 2500 GMC 6.5 diesel short box and the camper is heavy when fully loaded, almost 3000 lbs. Total weight is 9300 lbs, a little over weight but the truck handle's it good.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
The two pictures of the Arrow models shown here clearly show the difference in most short and long box models.

Short/long

Note the skirts wrapping down over the rear of the truck(extra storage) and the best feature the rear bumper and lower step to gain entrance.

This model type is a good fit, weight and bed utilization for your truck
without all sorts of mods.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck Doc, and welcome to the forum. Airbags are not a requirement, just one of the ways you can deal with certain issues. As recommended earlier, try the camper out first and see how it handles and then start addressing any problems from there. You could bring them up on the forum and get steered in the right direction. I think most folks would recommend torklift products for your tie down system as well as a thick rubber bed mat. Also a way to plug into the trucks electric connector and you can go from there.
Happy camper hunting!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Dr__Feelgood
Explorer
Explorer
WOW.. You guys are quick on the draw. Thanks for the input. I envision wing boxes are the storage areas in the back which would keep it from sliding forward in a short bed. I'll be looking for something 8-9 feet so it shouldn't matter. What are supertruss extensions? Should I plan on "airbags" regardless of the weight of the TC.
Thanks

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I believe the long/short bed comment was for shirt campers that fit a SB truck but may not slide into a LB due to rear ovehang.

Exactly, 8.5' short bed camper and 8.5" long bed camper both fit a short bed truck just fine, weight limits not withstanding.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk