cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short bed truck with camper towing horse trailer?

KirstenS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm hoping to get some "expert input":
We have a 2015 RAM 3500 crew cab with a short bed (6.4), our trailer is a 2 horse stock type, and we are considering buying a 2007 Bigfoot 15C9.3 made for short beds. The truck has a max payload of 4073 lb, max towing 17,200 lb, GVWR 11,700 lb and GCWR 25,300 lb. Dry weight on the camper is 2,100 lb, total length is 15"1'. I'm currently waiting on confirmation how much of this is over the cab vs. on the bed of the truck. The trailer with horses, tack, hay, water is around 5000 lb.
My question: Can this be safely done, and if yes, how? I've been asking around and have gotten as many answers as there are possible options... Would love to hear from people who are actually towing horses with a camper, or have tried and given up.
Btw, we had a gooseneck trailer with small LQ, but want the flexibility to go camping without horses, therefore prefer a camper with bp trailer.
Thanks so much in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 3500 S/B Dodge diesel and a (2) horse Featherlight Slant load trailer. The horses are a MO. Fox trotter and a Rocky Mt. Horse. Our camper choice was a Northstar TC 650 (designed for S/B trucks) pop-up. We did not want to deal with the expense and weight of a super hitch.

Cab over campers are almost all much heavier then their advertised weight. Our Northstar was close to 2000 pounds when it was packed. Also horse trailers have more tongue weight than travel trailers.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Kirsten, I retract what I said after seeing that BF camper on a sb Ram.
You will need a real truss hitch and significant extension with that camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usually tow a 16ft body / 20ft overall length tandem cargo trailer weighing about 6500lbs with a Superhitch/Super Truss. We have towed a 28ft travel trailer while carrying the truck camper.

The truck and camper rides much better towing something on the super-hitch vs without a trailer.

One thing to consider going from LQ equipped horse trailer to a TC is the overall height of the camper and truck vs the trees where you like to camp, and you can't take the adventure motorcycles like you can in the hoss trailer.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
To the question regarding a LQ. no thanks who wants to lug around a **** 40' horse trailer just to go camping?

X2.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Then there's me with only 18" overhang, one one-eyed tail horse and a refurbished tandem axle one horse trailer. But then DH doesn't ride so that's why one horse. The trailer tows behind the Toyota FJ Cruiser just fine so the dually doesn't even know it's there.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
chiming in again from a dressage clinic some 100 miles from home. I had this same set up on my SRW with 19.5 wheels going to many many horse shows. To the question regarding a LQ. no thanks who wants to lug around a **** 40' horse trailer just to go camping?

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
He will need a 38-42" supertruss, I run a 32" and have less rear overhang.

I will guess loaded he will be over 8k easy on the rear, knowing mine hits 8200 lbs.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same truck but my camper is 8'6" so a little shorter than yours.
The Ram has the shortest SB of 3 manuf. at 6'4".
I just installed the Curt 2 1/2" receiver below the factory hitch. A very simple and straight forward install. It is a very heavy (80 lbs) and robust receiver with a 2700 lb tongue weight and 20k lb trailer capacity.
However, you will need an extension of around 32". I use my Reese 24" which is only rated for 600 lb tongue weight, but I'm not towing heavy.
I guess you could essentially make a "superhitch" design with the factory 2 1/2" and Curt 2 1/2" receiver and using 2 extensions.
For your application I would just get the Superhitch installed and not worry about it.
Another thing, if you haven't installed the tiedowns I would go with the Torquelifts.
I installed the Happijacks as I've had good luck with them in the past.
On my 15 Ram, the rear HJ fastened to the bumper doesn't seem as strong, but the front is ok.
If you have the 18" Firestones, you have over 7500 lb tire capacity so I would wait until after youre set up and weigh the rear axle before investing in wheels and tires.
I also installed the lower stable loads which helped but depending on your situation, you may consider airbags as well.
You will likely be around 3k lbs on the camper and 500-700lbs on the hitch. You will be close to max but OK. These new Rams are solid.
What engine do you have, Hemi or CTD?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Reread your post. Have I got a treat for you. Although my truck is older and a megacab, I have the same length bed as you. Here is a picture of a 2007 Bigfoot 15CF9.3 I almost bought. Gives you a reference of how much of an extension you will need to tow..this is the full empty/dry weight on my 2500's suspension. Loaded, I think you will exceed tire ratings as I did with my similar rated Wolf Creek with a 3000 lbs trailer....

You will carry all the weight on the rear axle. My TC doesn't hang this far off the back and my batteries are forward of my axle, where the TC your talking about has a single battery in the very rear as well as the waste tanks.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
There are plenty of us towing heavy trailers behind our truck campers. You need a dual receiver SuperHitch with a dual truss extension SuperTruss. These Torklift products allow you to tow a 10,000 lb trailer on an extension up to 4' long.

Your biggest concern will be to not overload the rear tires and rims past their capacity. The rear axle has plenty of reserve capacity, but is limited by the 7000-7500 lb wheel capacity. I went with 19.5" commercial tires to allow me to carry a 4000 lb truck camper while towing an 8000 lb enclosed trailer with my short bed F250.

Yes that is what you will need.

Check the truck empty weight, and hopefully you will be able to not need to upgrade to 19.5" rims.

My guess is the 9.3 is 9 feet 4" body length behind the cab, so yes it will stick out about 3' beyond the bumper.

There are many dually trucks using the Super Hitch, and carry a 4,000+ pound camper that is 12' long and overhanging by more than 4'. But that would be the limit. And any dually will have the ability to carry almost 5,500 pounds on the rear axle, beyond the empty weight.

I think the rear tires are going to limit you. Make sure you check the weight before taking off once you have the truck and trailer hooked up.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Totally do able. I'm guessing the 9.3 is the length in the bed which is pretty long for a short bed camper.
Length of extension for the hitch will be dependent on the tongue length on the trailer and overhang of the camper.
Ideally a super hitch but if you don't have a lot of tongue weight may get by with just a hitch extension.
Plus that's a light camper if it will be at or under 3klbs loaded up.
I've not towed horses but have pulled 5-6klb trailers all over with my 07 short bed with a much heavier camper and just a 12-18" hitch extension, including up the Alcan hwy to AK.
IMO you got the right truck and 19.5s are not really needed at your weights, again provided the camper weight and cg is reasonable. And the new Rams have a beefier hitch than the one I have.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
KirstenS wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping to get some "expert input":
We have a 2015 RAM 3500 crew cab with a short bed (6.4), our trailer is a 2 horse stock type, and we are considering buying a 2007 Bigfoot 15C9.3 made for short beds. The truck has a max payload of 4073 lb, max towing 17,200 lb, GVWR 11,700 lb and GCWR 25,300 lb. Dry weight on the camper is 2,100 lb, total length is 15"1'. I'm currently waiting on confirmation how much of this is over the cab vs. on the bed of the truck. The trailer with horses, tack, hay, water is around 5000 lb.
My question: Can this be safely done, and if yes, how? I've been asking around and have gotten as many answers as there are possible options...

Would love to hear from people who are actually towing horses with a camper

, or have tried and given up.
Btw, we had a gooseneck trailer with small LQ, but want the flexibility to go camping without horses, therefore prefer a camper with bp trailer.
Thanks so much in advance!

Wait for it.......
There is a forum member that shows horses and tows with his TC. He will be able to help you, both he and his DW are 'very' experienced towing their horses with a TC. Think the name is buzzcut. Hope they chime in for you.

Myself, I pull a 4 place slant with my 31ft MH. :W

BTW: Why can't you go camping with an LQ? Some of them are very very nice. They are nothing more than a toy hauler that some of us decide to put horses in, just don't put them in when you want to get away by yourselves. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
totally doable , dually no problem, SRW you will need 19.5 wheels and tire. for either, superhitch, supertruss and a weight distribution hitch. then go have fun
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Solid advice so far.

Superhitch, supertruss, some stableloads and I predict 19.5's as well. Very doable, just takes $$$$$!