cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short cut winterizing

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished up our first weekend of camping. Weather was great, high 70s. On Tuesday, they are calling for a low of 27 with wind, snow, sleet, and all. So I parked my TT at home, outside and did the following. Drained the fresh water, drained the HW heater, drained the low pint drains, and left all faucets open. I think I will be ok for the day or two at or below freezing. Did I miss anything?
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360
16 REPLIES 16

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
sbowman871 wrote:
Doug33 wrote:
sbowman871 wrote:
Update- I got the proper fittings and did a blow out this afternoon. I did forget the dog shower yesterday. Thanks Greydennyhalk. Mlts22 , pumping vodka into the city connection? That's what I call alcohol abuse! Thanks for the replies.

dog shower?

Yeah, that outside shower that has a hose long enough to wash your feet off or your dog. This is one option I could certainly live without. Never use it, but have to deal with it every time I winterize.

That's funny. I was blowing my lines out yesterday and thinking that this was the most pointless option on a trailer! Just another line that can break, more faucets that can break, another thing to winterize and one more entry for water to get in the trailer. I guess I could see using it at some point down the road to wash off muddy kids or something, but more trouble than benefit imo.
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
2014 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
sbowman871 wrote:
Update- I got the proper fittings and did a blow out this afternoon. I did forget the dog shower yesterday. Thanks Greydennyhalk. Mlts22 , pumping vodka into the city connection? That's what I call alcohol abuse! Thanks for the replies.

dog shower?

Yeah, that outside shower that has a hose long enough to wash your feet off or your dog. This is one option I could certainly live without. Never use it, but have to deal with it every time I winterize.
2010 Everlite 29FK
Parkit 360

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
sbowman871 wrote:

dog shower?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Everlite 29FK
Parkit 360

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
sbowman871 wrote:
Just finished up our first weekend of camping. Weather was great, high 70s. On Tuesday, they are calling for a low of 27 with wind, snow, sleet, and all. So I parked my TT at home, outside and did the following. Drained the fresh water, drained the HW heater, drained the low pint drains, and left all faucets open. I think I will be ok for the day or two at or below freezing. Did I miss anything?

Leave the faucets open after you blow it out, you will be fine.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Strange weather. I dewinterized and camped this past weekend, with temps up to 80 degrees. My local forecast calls for lows of 32 and 33 degrees over the next couple nights. So I'm not going to worry about that, because it won't be cold long enough to cause freezing issues in the TT's plumbing. But why is it getting colder to the south and west of NJ??
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Rosscoe40 wrote:
I de-winterized mine last week, its supposed to get down to 24 Tuesday night. I'm not going to winterize again because it's getting near 50 the next day. I think it would have to be below 32 for an extended time (days) to freeze up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

X 2 right on...
If it aint broke fix it till it is

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I got caught a couple of times were I needed to re winterize.

yes it makes a difference if it is going to be 32 or below for SEVERAL hours or days. In Florida and most of the south it usually is only a couple of hours right before dawn. But for me it's not worth the chance of having to replace any of those dang small plastic water hoses that break in an RV.

I just buy a couple of bottles of pink stuff and pour it into the fresh tank and run the water pump open all faucets till they run pink. A couple of bucks for insurance is worth it to me.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Rosscoe40
Explorer
Explorer
I de-winterized mine last week, its supposed to get down to 24 Tuesday night. I'm not going to winterize again because it's getting near 50 the next day. I think it would have to be below 32 for an extended time (days) to freeze up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same forecast here, except the low is supposed to be 21.
I am going to pump the pink stuff through. It only takes a little over a gallon and ten minutes of time
I never use an air compressor . It is a waste of time

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

wagonmaster2
Explorer
Explorer
Any time the temperature drops for a night or two I leave the furnace set somewhere around 45-50, expecially if I can reach a 110 cord from the house to the camper, and have never had any trouble. Would be about the same as camping in 24-30 degree weather at night.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
When you blow out the lines, do it to all of them.
We lost a shower head this year to a 36 hour freeze. We had blown out the shower line, but assumed the shower wand itself, lying in the tub, was empty.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
The amount of time below 32 degrees is the important thing. If it drops to below during the night, but rises well above during the day, all will be well. If it drops below 32 and stays below for several days and nights, you need to take measures as suggested above. Good luck with whatever you do.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I would also suggest blowing out the lines with a compressor. If you would rather, then put a electric heater under the sink, and that will keep most of the lines above 32, afterall they are inside the RV.

If you have tanks enclosed within the basement, like my Bounder motorhome, then you should be fine, even without the heater, because the RV normally stays warmer than the outside temp.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com