cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I keep my old truck?

peholden
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1994 F250, 7.5 liter gas engine with a manual transmission that I use to tow my 5th wheel. The truck is in excellent shape and looks almost new inside and out. In other words, it gets the job done.

But, I'm worried that if I have some mechanical problem on the road in some far-away place, will the Ford dealer there be able to find the parts I might need? Or, is my truck so old that I'd have to search junkyards which would obviously be nearly impossible during an interrupted trip?

Thanks, Pete
Pete KAร˜TZK
27 REPLIES 27

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the truck, there's hundreds of ways to get parts, new and used with today's technology. I bet any part you would ever need is on eBay at a low cost.

In fact, you will pass many newer trucks sitting on the side of the road or at repair shops... all waiting on parts too.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
So a forum full of old guys says a 94 Ford is too old and canโ€™t find parts? You guys donโ€™t know whether youโ€™re foot or horseback!
Parts are plenty available. Only get rid of it if you want to.
PS, thanks to the guy with the story about the rusted out old van.....howโ€™s that relate to a person with a Cherry condition pickup?

Fwiw, I bought a 94 Chevy pickup fixer upper a couple years ago. No issue getting parts.

Got a good laugh also......have a 79 F250 beater and no problem getting parts here.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So a forum full of old guys says a 94 Ford is too old and canโ€™t find parts? You guys donโ€™t know whether youโ€™re foot or horseback!
Parts are plenty available. Only get rid of it if you want to.
PS, thanks to the guy with the story about the rusted out old van.....howโ€™s that relate to a person with a Cherry condition pickup?

Fwiw, I bought a 94 Chevy pickup fixer upper a couple years ago. No issue getting parts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
Id like to see a pic of your truck.

Me too. How many miles? And what condition? I had a 1996 F-250 7.3L PSD that I bought new that I regret selling to this day.....
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Id like to see a pic of your truck.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it , don't worry about what might happend.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
peholden wrote:
I have a 1994 F250, 7.5 liter gas engine with a manual transmission that I use to tow my 5th wheel. The truck is in excellent shape and looks almost new inside and out. In other words, it gets the job done.

But, I'm worried that if I have some mechanical problem on the road in some far-away place, will the Ford dealer there be able to find the parts I might need? Or, is my truck so old that I'd have to search junkyards which would obviously be nearly impossible during an interrupted trip?

Thanks, Pete

I'll bet Ford Motor Company would love to hear your story. :W

My vote is keep her.....

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a new truck. Parts on anything that old will be hard to come by.

I have a '98 E150. Starting to show some serious rust especially underneath (had 2 brake line failures). I have no concerns driving it "around town" but it is our "vacation" vehicle (still rides good, but noisy, on the highway and it hold a lot of vacation toys for the grandkids) but I am getting more and more concerned about it dying "between here and there", so I am in the "same boat".

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I vote No.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Parts will be a mishmash between the dealer, aftermarket and junk yards...nothing wrong, nor tough about that...just time it takes to get the parts...

Here is my story on a very similar situation

After decades using the family station wagon as the very small mom n pop specialty grocery/butcher shop...he decided to purchase a pickup after uncle Bill and I said the wagon wasnโ€™t rebuildable

He only wanted a half ton for ride quality...uncle Bill advised me to order the HD half ton n dad wouldnโ€™t know cuz he only looks at the badging...

Ordered a Chevy โ€œBig Tenโ€, the Heavy Duty half ton of 1980.Everyone beat up hauling canned good to beef quarters...down to the bump stops...

Dad gave it to me around 1999 with about 300,000 miles on it.

It was both my girls first โ€˜carโ€™ and was known as โ€œThe Truckโ€...

My philosophy on automotive...is that it is the worst necessary investment...so keep mine forever until either canโ€™t fix it anymore or donโ€™t want to any more

Well...it failed this years SMOG test and going to need a carb rebuild..

The body has dents on each panel (daughters), that years smog stuff is horrible, bench seat covers need replacement, needs repaint (rust on each panel)....but the KYBโ€™s and 33/12.5R15LTโ€™s has it corner like on rails...the 1 ton helper coils on the rear axle helps

Just bought a 2007 Nissan Frontier, crew cab, long wheel base 6.5 ft bed. SE...base model with AC, power door lock n windows

The Silverado will be donated

But, if I owned your pickup...Iโ€™d keep it, but that is just me...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep it,ll be hard to find parts please send me the key,s and I,ll take that old diamond off your hands. p.s. I,d drive it till it died ,then thank it. I love fords ,never really had a problem withe ones I,ve owned.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure youโ€™ll be able to find parts, and when they arrive 7 to 10 days after you or the dealer order online then you can have them installed in 2 to 4 days. Buy a new truck!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only parts your going to find will be aftermarket parts stores and wrecking yards. New OE parts will be nearly impossible to find.