cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide out protection?

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
I'm picking up a coach which has 2 slide outs but no awnings over the slides. Being that I've never owned a trailer with slides I'm unsure what's the best way to protect and prevent water from coming in. What's recommended?
7 REPLIES 7

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a topper...its added cost, weight and maintenance.

Instead we bought the Worx cordless blower and gutter attachment. This works for the RV topper, and gutters at home. Plus a blower for campsite, home driveway, etc.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a stepladder and a soft brush on an expandable pole. Takes less than 5 minutes to clean the slide.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

eartha
Explorer
Explorer
I use a small blower and a ladder and clean the top off when I'm in an area that drops a lot of stuff on the slide . It takes a little time but works. I don't have the noise of the wind blowing on the awning this way .
Thor 2017. Class C

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto what's been said. I don't have a slide awning, and have never had a water issue, and I live in the PNW. I have wished for one many times, as the evergreen trees here drop needles etc on it and I do clean it off before retracting it. It's then that I wonder if an awning would prevent access for cleaning and seal maintainance, so I just keep it this way.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I added one to mine when we purchased our new trailer. The main reason I did was because we camp in state parks and a lot of times there are trees that drop small limbs and leaves, so I got it to prevent those things from falling on top of slide out room. My camper doesn't have a ladder to get on the roof to clean the top of the room off so I figured this is the best way to keep stuff from getting up there and getting into the seals.

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Slides have rubber seals that keep the water out. Toppers are nice to have but not a necessity.

X2
The rubber seals on slides will keep the water out but do require maintenance with or with out slide toppers. a dealer can add them to your trailer if you want them or if so inclined you could add them your self.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Slides have rubber seals that keep the water out. Toppers are nice to have but not a necessity.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE