cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide won't come in

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Sunnybrook Titan 27FKS, one slide. I moved the slide out about a week ago to show to a perspective buyer. It now has been sold and I attempted to bring the slide back in. One side of the slide is completely normal...moves up a little and then tries to come in. The motor runs with no abnormal sounds. The side closest to the back appears to be stuck. I went around the rubber on the outside to make sure nothing was wedged preventing movement. I place a jack with boards under the side of the Slide (not the rail) and lifted it about 3/4". The temp has been single digits for a few nights now but the slide lifted easily with no obvious indication of something frozen. Fortunately/unfortunately it has an enclosed underbelly so I can't see anything. I would be one extremely happy camper if I could just get the slide back in so I could take it to my dealer. Anybody have any suggestions?????
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC
11 REPLIES 11

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ken,
If it is what I think it is, then it will not be a bandaid type fix. Mine was done about 5 or 6 years ago and the problem has never reoccured. Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
Barney - I will take your advise and crawl under the belly tomorrow. I think I'd have a good chance of putting a bandaid on the problem if I could just get a chance to see it. The weather seems to be shifting in my favor for a couple of days so its well worth taking a look. Thanks
Ken
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would bet a cold beer you will find it to be what I posted earlier.

One thing I don't quite understand though. Unless Sunnybrook changed something on the Titans in 2005 from 2004, the shaft, motor, and gears for the slide should be in the open below the enclosed underbelly. You should be able to see the runners with tooth openings that the gears mate with on the slide bottom, and also the shaft that comes out of the motor that has probably slipped out of its slot located under the trailer, but outside of the black enclosing material.

Before you spend all the money on a repair shop, I would crawl under there and take a look. It is a very simple and easy repair if your trailer is like mine, and I believe it is.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar camper to yours with same problem. Turned out to be the gears inside the slide motor. You can access slde motor easily even if enclosed underbelly. it's prob just coroplast which looks like black cardboard underneath. It's only held on by screws so just remove them and you can get to the motor. If the underbelly looks like tarp material yes you would have to cut a small flap into it to access the motor. My motor was made by venture mfg which makes a lot of motors for the rv industry. They are plastic gears and were easy to replace once you open motor up.

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
SLIDE IS IN!!! Thanks for all your input. I was able to round up some help and while wife pushed the button we were able to push the slide in. It pushed rather easily so I'm assuming something is no longer connected for whatever reason. At least now I can take it to the shop and they can put it into a heated shop to repair it. I will make one final post when I get the repair completed so others can see the cause and solution which is so extremely helpful on this web site.
If the underbelly was not covered I probably could do something with the repair myself or at least try. The RV repair shop said they usually just cut an opening in the underbelly cloth for the repair. Then they use a special high grade tape to repair the underbelly.
No matter what, the repair is going to be a lot easier when the temp is > 15 degrees.....and ZERO wind.
Thanks again for all the replies
Ken
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
Does it lift slightly on one side? That would indicate it's not a brake, clutch release, or shear pin? Wonder if you could have a little ice holding the top surfaces together?
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
You have a dead batt replace or unplug the batt slide will go in
He did say the motor runs so I doubt it is the battery!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a dead batt replace or unplug the batt slide will go in

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The exact same thing happened to me several years ago. Crawl under the trailer and look at the gear at the rear end of the slide or the end that will not go in. The set screw holding the whole shaft or the gear itself has most likely loosened up and allowed the shaft or gear to move out of the mateing gear. I called a RV tech out to the campgound and about 30 seconds and $75 later he had it fixed. I suspect the same thing has happened to yours as the symtoms sound exactly the same. You may have to have your wife slowly operate the button to rotate the shaft so you can see the setscrew.

By the way, it is possible to push the slide back in. Have someone inside operate the motor while you and a couple of others push on the outside. It will go in quite easily once you get past the initial "hump" where the slide is going uphill on the little indent well at the edge of the trailer. I had to do this as it happened to me on an overnight stop on our way to Florida. Left it in until we got there. Finally got it fixed after we reached our destination.
Barney
Not towing now.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with byways. Underneath the slide on the outside, look for a cross shaft.
They usually have a bolt on each end. It is probably gone on the end that will not go in. If all else fails, have the wife push the in button while you push on the slide from the outside.
If it is a Lippert slide, go to their website and you may find a manual.

byways
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the type of mechanism used for movement, it sounds like a shear pin on a shaft. There should be a way to operate the slide manually. Maybe your dealer knows how.