cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slides first or stabilizer jacks first?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
On a travel trailer with 2 large slides on one side, is it better to run the slides out first, or deploy the stabilizer jacks first? Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of our stabilizer jacks is under the slide. So unless I want to crawl under the slide to lower the jack...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I level, stabilize then extend the slide, so I don't have to crawl under the slide to stabilize.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Level. Stabilize. Extend Slides. Re-tighten jacks on non-slide side if needed.

No need in my view to worry about too much weight on the jacks. The jacks will hold (in my case) about 6k lbs each. My trailer weighs 9k max.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Level and stabilize first... Then deploy the slides
Just what our manual says we should do....

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
I too wondered this. Months ago I asked Northwood and they said setup in any order you wish. Same with using slide - In, out, sittin, or chillin, don't matter. Sometimes I put slide out then stabilize if the wife want to go in and do stuff otherwise I will stabilize and then put out slide. I've seen zero difference either way.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
With my slide out I can`t get to one of my stablizers

Community Alumni
Not applicable
ford truck guy wrote:

Yup, that's what I do too, per my manual.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't have that problem but what some do is when leveling the trailer, make the slide side slightly higher then put the jacks down. That way when the slide is extended, the weight and leverage makes the trailer reasonably level. Takes a bit of practice.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I would stabilize first, but I don't have a slide.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I do it which ever way it happens. I figure the slides are deployed in the dealers lot for long periods of time without the stabilizers down, so the frame can obviously handle it. But with four of five people moving about inside it may be a different story over the long term. I agree putting the stabilizers down first tends to over burden the slide side while the other side floats in mid air, so you'll probably have to readjust later anyhow. Prolly slides first then stabilizers would work better but I doubt it matters much.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been in charge of the outside set up while my girlfriend gets the inside of the RV ready putting stuff we packed in to better places for use while camping. The first thing we do is put the slides out so she can do her thing while I'm leveling and putting the stabilizer jacks down. I really don't see how it matters either way, but that's just how we've done it for years. Allowing her to get inside right away cuts down on her impatience level while I get everything set outside as well. ๐Ÿ™‚ And you KNOW that's a plus!
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We level first (with slide side slightly higher), then deploy slide, then put stabilizers down. If I put stabilizers down before slide goes out, then the slide side seem too tight and the other loose. That is just how I do it, I don't overthink it.... I have no problems either way really. I also check chocks and stabilizers after an hour or two. Tires cooling and soft ground can loosen things up...

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I used to stabilize first then deploy slides but was finding the stabilizers on the non-slides side were loose and the slide side had too much weight on them. Now I deploy slides first and then stabilize. I just compensate slightly on leveling knowing that the 2 slides will change the levelness when deployed.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:

This seems to be what most manufacturers say, but I think it is important that the stabilizers not be over tightened. I think this is easier to do than some folks realize, as I have done it and discovered it when an interior door started binding against the door jam.

I may be wrong, but on my 2002 Sunline trailer, the instructions were to extend the slide (after trailer is level) and then stabilize. I did it that way for 10 years without any slideout problems other than a faulty ground wire on one occasion.

When we got our Minnie, the instructions were stabilize, then extend slide. But, with the reputation of the Lippert slide mechanism in mind, I have continued to do the opposite. I level the trailer, extend the slide out and then stabilize. It eliminates the risk of and torquing of the frame. And, so far (knock on wood!) we have had two camping seasons without and Lippert slide out problems.

BUT....THIS IS JUST WHAT I DO...
It is propbably safer to follower the manufacturer's direction, at least while the unit is under warranty. Just don't over tighten the stabilizers!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption