cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what are folks average MPG when towing

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am towing a 2800lb base weight figure 3600 actual with full propane tanks Battery and gear, Towing with a 2011 Nissan pathfinder V6 Pa is hilly so in 4th gear allot is automatic but to limit beating the tranny I run it manual, Well I am getting 8.7 mpg. Not thrilled but oh well having fun anyway. We have a 600 mile trip to Myrtle beach planned so hoping no more than 4 fill ups one way.
99 REPLIES 99

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
'15 F350 diesel, CCLB, W/3:55 gears towing 7,200 lb TT (Loaded weight). I stick to 60-65 MPH and average 12.3 MPG. Just as an observation also, It's a head wind that kills my mileage more than anything, even more so than mountain passes. Very pleased with our truck!
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
When we towed before settling down - I'd get about 9-10 mpg.

First camper was a Rockwood 2605, second was a Wildwood 29FKSS. So about 2000 lbs difference between the two. Didn't matter much to the truck, as some have stated that's a whole lot of frontal area. TV was a 2003 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi.

New TV to just tow the pontoon is 2009 F-150 with a 4.6. One day last week I took my utility trailer to Menards and filled it with some 3/4 green treated plywood plus about 25 landscape timbers with a couple of patio blocks. Weighed probably 2000 lbs and I got 14 mpg towing @ 65. I'm not sure if that is really meaningful since that's not much weight.

Frankly, when gas was over $4 a gallon that was about the only time I was moderately concerned about my mileage when towing.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Only time i ever go under 10.5 mpg is if im pushing through the mountains or have a nasty headwind
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 6k TT with an 08 Pathfinder V8 seven/eight years ago and got between 7 and 10 mpg initially...once I found that going faster was not really the best way to go, I settled down to around 55 mph and got approx. 10 mpg.

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
If you are concerned about miles per gallon you picked the wrong way to enjoy your recreation. You are pulling a box down the road, mileage doesn't matter as there's not a lot you can do about it that makes economic sense. Just go and enjoy!:)

Nope just curious what others are getting to compare

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are concerned about miles per gallon you picked the wrong way to enjoy your recreation. You are pulling a box down the road, mileage doesn't matter as there's not a lot you can do about it that makes economic sense. Just go and enjoy!:)
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
06 LBZ, towing a 7000 lb TT. Over 40,000 miles with books keep. 12.0 average MPG towing 70+ most of the time.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 6.4L (gasser) towing 9k toy hauler.
About 8 to 9 on the flats. Mountains and hills will drag it down to 7. So does speed. My 13 F150 Ecoboost usually averaged 9, but the Gorge headwinds knocked it all the way down to 6.

When I towed my friend's 5500 lb trailer home (his Ford 6.0 conked out), got about 10. His trailer also wasn't as tall as mine.

Towing the horse trailer it gets 11 at 5000 lbs. Better aerodynamics.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
13 with the truck/TT in the signature on I-4 today between Orlando and Tampa.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
our 2007 sprinter I 5 diesel only gets 17mpg towing a 12ft box trailer with golf cart and misc dog equipt. my old class A got 8mpg.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 11.5-13 depending upon wind and terrain. Ram 6.7 CTD, crew cab towing a 9500 lbs 33 foot travel trailer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
TT of similar weight towing with a GMC Envoy. I tow at 60-65 mph and typically get 12-12.5 verified (not using the DIC).

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
8.0 with my 2500HD gas towing 7,000 pounds. 16.0 towing something similar to the OP with friend's 2015 Pathfinder or my F-150 V-6. Speed is everything bad when it comes to towing.

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so not to far off hell I got 11 mpg in the big rig lol. Ya need too slow down Pa is now 70 mph in places and I get sucked right in

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My rig in my signature below: 11.1 (diesel)