cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft floor spreading but can't find the source

jch2122
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping someone can tell me which way to go with this. I have a travel trailer that I bought about a year ago and about 6 months ago I noticed that right in front of the sink there was a bout a 2ftx2ft spot that was getting very soft. I investigated and noticed under the sink that the place where the lines from the sink connect was a small leak. I replaced the lines and there has been no leak since. Ever since then, though, the soft floors have spread all the way to the bathroom door and almost to the bedroom. Probably about a 7ftx3ft space. It's very soft in places, and we just try to avoid stepping on those places when walking. There is no leak under the sink that I can tell. I've followed all the lines under the cabinets and there doesn't seem to be any place that has a leak. The inside of the camper does get very wet when it's cold outside, but we bought a dehumidifier for that. I just don't know where this could be coming from and I'm hoping someone has some experience with this and can tell me where to start. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Get a sealtest done.

I have not heard of your model having floors fail due to breakdown of the glue that holds the plywood and foam layers together. (Yours may or may not have this type of laminated flooring.) Maybe someone else had this problem with their Coachmen. I know of two Keystone Cougar TTs (2010 and 2012) that had glue failures (ours and someone else I met on the road).
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

jch2122
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
What is the year, brand, and model?

Some models are known to develop soft floors for reasons other than water intrusion.

I didn't know that. It's a 2010 Coachmen 300 BHS.

What is the year, brand, and model?

Some models are known to develop soft floors for reasons other than water intrusion.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem. It ended up being a leak in the wall of the shower. Water was soaking into the insulation under the floor and following the floor joists to a location about 3' away from the shower. I finally found the leak and fixed it, then pulled up the floor and installed new plywood.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moisture is kinda the same as rust.. Once it starts in deep into the material, it'll keep going.. That's why they call it "cancer" when it gets to that point.

Surface rust or moisture that's just gotten to the surface can be stopped if you catch it in time (same deal with real "cancer" too)

Anyway, it sounds like you are going to have to do some serious surgery and cut out the rotted wood and replace.

That should stop the spread for the most part. It might stop on it's own, but you will still have the soft spots, so might as well fix that up anyway?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.