cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of y'all are scarin' me!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
While at the Good Sam rally in Phoenix last month, a camper was parked next to us. She had an 18ft TT, and was pulling it with an SUV. While there, she purchased a new 22' TT from one of the vendors, but was upset that they were charging her for a "Brake Thingy". I asked her to explain and she showed me the sales contract which had a brake controller listed.

I told her it was probably just a mistake and to show me her current controller and I'd see if it would work on her new trailer. She didn't know what a brake controller was, and didn't know where it was located in her SUV. So I took a look and there was NO controller in her TV. She said she didn't need one because she had a plug on the back of the SUV that she plugged the trailer into and it should connect the brakes.

So I tried to spend the next half hour explaining how it all worked and her final comment was "I should be just fine without it". Hopefully, that dealer won't let her leave without following through and safely equipping her SUV.

Yikes!
:E

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
60 REPLIES 60

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
extensive education and big credentials are not necessarily inclusive with common sense and how to use it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHY you pointing fingers at the 'choir' :H

Folks on Open Roads Forum would not do anything like that :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I will tell on myself here and what happened to me. Friends purchased a TT from a small dealer and needed me to tow it to my house for them and then they would come pick it up when they could. I got to the dealer and left my truck to have them set the hitch to it for the trip home.....came back a little while later and they said you are good to go so I got in my truck and left. This was an over night trip for me you see....go there, pick it up, stay the night, come home. I didn't have to unhitch at the motel so I just unplugged and took a little look at the hitch. It looked a little bit lighter than my own hitch I pull my TT with but I just dismissed it and went to my room. I finally get home and taking the hitch off my truck I see the rating sticker, 500 tongue, 5000 trailer weight. WELL....the trailer was 8000 lbs. with a 1000 lb. tongue wt. HOLY HECK BAT MAN! The trailer towed quite well and I had no problems with it but thank goodness all went well. You bet they heard about it the next day.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Common sense isn't really common. I'm glad my father used to ramble on as he drove, telling me all the useful towing tidbits (among other great info) that he knew I might someday need.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have some very good friends. She a college professor and he an IT Director in a large bank. They towed their 27 ft TT for at least 3 years with no brakes. Even though I pointed it out to them several times. Thought the truck brakes would be all they needed. Not stupid people but not smart either.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
those kinds of people are why I quit riding motorcycles after 12 straight years. I've ridden off and on since I was 18. Way tooooo many drivers that don't care.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
RoyB wrote:
You would think that the state DOT inspection station requirements would catch some of this... All of the installed DOT safety lights including the functioning electric brakes are all part of the required safety inspection here where I live.

when all passes then I get a current sticker placed on my trailer...

Roy Ken

Not all states have DOT inspections, I would hazard a guess that MOST DON'T.
We bought two trailers from out of state in Washington, and the only inspection we needed was a VIN inspection to be sure the numbers matched.
That's the way KS is as well, VIN inspection.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
No inspections in California.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
RoyB wrote:
You would think that the state DOT inspection station requirements would catch some of this... All of the installed DOT safety lights including the functioning electric brakes are all part of the required safety inspection here where I live.

Roy Ken

We bought two trailers from out of state in Washington, and the only inspection we needed was a VIN inspection to be sure the numbers matched.

No DOT inspections required in AZ.

She was from California. I'm not sure if inspections are required there or not. I seem to remember that they only do emissions inspections there.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

No DOT inspections required in AZ.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I pass a giant diesel pusher towing a TV I wonder if the only other thing the guy driving has ever driven is his cady.

and you guys think towing an 8k lb TT with a well set up 1/2 ton is dangerous.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BPRescue
Explorer
Explorer
BadgerMcAdams wrote:
To paraphrase a line from a show...

Sometimes, Fate protects Fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise...

Commander Riker - Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Oh no you dit-int...

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friend was a tech at a large dealership. Lady pulls in wanting her A/C recharged. When the tech went to pull it in the shop the brakes were metal on metal and he about went through the door. Told the lady she needed her brakes fixed and the lady did not want to spend the money but did want her A/C fixed.

The shop refused to work on her car for liability reasons.

I seen a person that there tire was almost completely flat. I made a effort to catch up to tell them about it. There answer was it's been like that for a week?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people have the idea that , 'it will never happen to me' .
They "disregard" the fact that other people share the same public highways as they do.
We all share the same responsibility and that is to be safe while sharing a common area.
When people "disregard" a possible threat against human life, then negligence falls in their lap. The result can be criminal and/or civil negligence.
Unfortunately, innocent people become victims all too often.