cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sometimes you just gotta shove it

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
in to 4x4 and get the heck out of Dodge!! After several weeks of extensive medical testing and repairing 2 bathrooms in the stick house from a water leak I was way overdue for some alone time. I chose one of my favorite places, the Owyhee mountains of SW Idaho. This area is so huge you can explore a different region every time you go!! I wasn't sure where I would end up but did know the general area I wanted. I wanted to see or hear no one else!!

First I had to get over this mountain. Contrary to popular belief there are no rocks in Idaho!! :B

Why do rocks always look smaller on film? I thought the camera was supposed to add 10 pounds!!

At the top. 8000', 55 degrees with a stiff wind. Got goose bumps, felt so good!!

Finally reaching the area I wanted to stay I received some major pin striping. Good thing I know a good detail shop!!

Found one!! Nothing but the sound of wind in the trees and critters for 2 days. Surprised at the absence of bugs like black flies and skeeters but not complaining!! 7500', crisp clean air, 35 degrees at night. A welcome change from triple digits and smoke (forest fires) in the Boise valley.

I decided to change spots for a change of scenery. You can see the smoke obstructing the mountains on the other side of Boise.

Found a neat spot with some cool rocks.

Yeah, I had to climb them. Never know what's up there. AlI saw was this tiny TC hiding behind a tree.

Pretty view to the north tho.

That's it. Accomplished what I set out to do and had a great time. FWIW the new suitcase solar worked great. Adding 100 watts to my all ready 100 watts on the TC ran the fridge (which never shuts off) and kept the batteries topped off. In fact mid afternoon the suitcase shut down sensing full batteries!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
21 REPLIES 21

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pics, Alway great to get away from dem dang Revenuers!!

3 tons

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Thats it Im moving out west!, oh I forgot DW wants to stay here,bummer. Thanks for pics!
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Who would have thought that this kind of exciting terrain was out there to explore in Idaho! Idaho is the most under-explored seemingly, from where I sit (YMMV).

Great report.

Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Matho
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice place to go. Can't blame ya for wanting to get away and hear nothing but nature for a couple of days.
2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Owyhees in the summer, I'd never have thought of that! We went to Yankee Fork and Josephus Lake, had ashes with our coffee from the Pioneer Fire. Way to go DJ, southwest and all!

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
Super cool!
Ed
Please BUY AMERICAN MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS!

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report!! Thanks.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely fantastic pics of drop-dead gorgeous geography, DJ. Many thanks for sharing.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for sharing

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip, beautiful!

We have high mountains here too, but it's still hot on them.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
DJ, For us, the east coast sons of the beach, your geography is so exotic we love your taking us there. Your rig looks so nimble, crawling over dem rocks. Thanks for trip.............

Love to all,

skip
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cool in more ways than one. Thanks for sharing.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
It's good to see you back out there with the wild rocks. Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks really great, DJ. Glad your priorities are in order.
Cal