cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes you just have to adapt.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our way from IN to AZ and were hoping the 30 and 40 degree weather would hold but it did not. It was single digit temps a few days before we left, then snow, then freezing mist as we pulled out.

Slow and steady was the pace on some well salted road. We made central IL. Still rather cold we dry camp at a State Park with pit toilets reminisent of our old tenting days. The slush, salt and sand slathered over the TT and TV.

We pushed on to MO where the cold, head winds and hills dropped the gas milage to 8 1/2 mpg. We finally were able to fill the fresh water tank.

After a couple of sightseeing stops in MO, we headed for OK where sustained cross wind of 25 mph and 40 mph gusts drove us off the Interstate and onto secondary roads with far less traffic and 45 to 50 mph was practical. Gas milage barely made 8 mpg.

Today was the first good travel day we had, crossing OK in 70 degree weather, no wind, and gas milage heading to our normal 10 mpg.

Next we are headed accross TX into NM with temps in the 70s and 80s and then moutains.

The DW and I have long since figured, it is better to adapt to the conditions, rather than fret about them.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
9 REPLIES 9

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been caught in a few of those situations ourselves and just go with it as well, after all we are RVing which rarely is something to frown about. Have fun in wonderful AZ!!!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got it right my friend . If you had encounter a tornado in OK. :E
MO would have been a walk in the park .

Have a great time and a safe return .

B n D

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
The DW and I have long since figured, it is better to adapt to the conditions, rather than fret about them.

Says the guy driving out of cold weather to find warm weather...:B

That's why I am down in Florida right now while its snowy and cold back home!!!

Adapt when possible, concede when possible!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That is a great motto for life.......which I 'think' you have used all your life :B

I think it's more of a mandatory rule for life. We all adapt, even if we don't realize what we are doing. 🙂

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last spring from MI to AZ by way of MS we went south into a head wind. Our 8mph normal was 4.5 until we hit the Gulf. On the way home from OKC had 40mph cross winds and rain but stayed the course all the way home. Hensley took care of cross winds and we made it home safe but a little tired.

I agree, it is what it is so enjoy the journey.

Have a great time.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Albuquerque is 5,500' elevation, keep those tire chains handy!

Expect snow in Grants as well..

You can check google.maps and look at 'terrain' and get elevations everywhere in the US.

Good luck on your adventures!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Good attitude!!! DW and I long ago realized it takes as long as it takes and costs what it costs. I average 8.8mpg and 50mph towing. Doesn't much matter what I do it always comes back to 8.8mpg and 50mph in the long run. We are on a short 3 day trip of only 200 miles and the front and one whole side of the rig got covered in bird poop while we were parked in the rodeo lot. We came out and DW looked at the rig and said, "oh poop!". I followed with, "no **** Sherlock". Corny as it gets but we got a good laugh out of it. It's all in the attitude.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job adapting!

Given where you live, it would be worth adding a few more miles to the trip and heading straight south, which would put you out of the nasty weather in one day's drive. Another half day would put you on I-20 for a nice southern route to AZ.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a great motto for life.......which I 'think' you have used all your life :B

Safe travels.

It's WARM here in AZ (high 80s teasing to hit 90S)....way too soon IMHO
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31