cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting a camper but my spare stays in the bed. Where do you put your oversized spare? I've got a 35" all terrain.
Thanks

Joe
Joe
27 REPLIES 27

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Raise the camper! You already have a flat and most don't carry a jack strong enough to lift a truck with a TC on it.

Don't not complicate it.

my stock ford bottle jack was able to do it on the side of I5 (yes that blow out sucked) I now carry a 10 ton hydrulic jack. and also on my ford I did not need to raise the TC to get to the spare tire mechanism carrying my Lance 1055

That had to be sketchy! Yikes!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I remember topic somewhere about turning spare wheel winch sideways, so you can crank it via fender well.
I would like to point that moving the spare wheel change the rear axle load by quite a bit.
Depends on the lengths, sometimes moving 80lb spare from the rear of the camper to front bumper can lower rear axle load by 300 lb.
Sure wheel on front bumper is not too cosmetic, but safety is important too.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vinsil wrote:
Raise the camper! You already have a flat and most don't carry a jack strong enough to lift a truck with a TC on it.

Don't not complicate it.

my stock ford bottle jack was able to do it on the side of I5 (yes that blow out sucked) I now carry a 10 ton hydrulic jack. and also on my ford I did not need to raise the TC to get to the spare tire mechanism carrying my Lance 1055
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer

Don't not complicate it.

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely one that drops behind the box so, yeah no way to access the mechanism to drop the tire. Front seems the way to go.
Joe

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the rear of his future camper drops down behind the box the stock location is out, no way to raise or lower the spare. That can be miserable at the best of times once it gets caked with mud. A roof rack or front mount are the only practical options. Unless you cut a side wall or have a blow out plugs and a compressor will get you to the next tire shop.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a regular size spare, run it in the highly unlikely event of a flat. I carry tire plugs and can fix most issues without a spare but honestly, I've never had a flat tire ever in my life.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
JoeAngelicchio wrote:
Yeah it's a GMT400 so not sure under the bed, haven't tried that yet. But I have a front receiver that I still have to put on so I guess that would be the best place to put it when using a camper.
Thanks

Well before doing anything else then, try the stock location. You might have to finesse it into place so don't give up right away. If it fits problem solved.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

JoeAngelicchio
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it's a GMT400 so not sure under the bed, haven't tried that yet. But I have a front receiver that I still have to put on so I guess that would be the best place to put it when using a camper.
Thanks
Joe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it's GM 400 in his sig, I dont think there's room.
Put the spare wherever you want, in front, hang it off the back of the camper, on the roof, or in the back seat of the truck. Those are the only plausible locations I can think of.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
On my Ford F350 my 35" spare fits in the stock under bed location. Have you tried yours to see if it fits or did you just assume it wouldn't?
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd make or buy a front hitch receiver with a tire carrier so I could put it there when the camper is on, and take it off when the bed is clear.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
When I went to alaska , I brought an extra spare and strapped it to the roof. I added 4 tie down anchors to the edge of the roof and just used rope to secure. never moved. That may be your only option if you do not want to add a front tire bracket.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper