cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaking of Rockwood Tent Trailers (Battery Problem)

NorthernGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Its been a long time since I have been on here. I have a 2014 Rockwood 1940LTD and power from the battery has stopped working. The battery is fine, but there is no power coming from the converter. Any ideas before going back to the dealer with it? Could it be something as easy to replace as a fuse or could it be more serious as needing a new power converter? Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

NorthernGuy
Explorer
Explorer
It's fixed! Thanks Midnightsadie, Handye9 and SoundGuy for your responses. I bought a new battery, box and a multi pack of fuses for the converter. I changed the fuses one by one and there it was. The 25 amp fuse in the converter was the culprit. As soon as I changed that one, I could hear the converter turn on and the propane detector start beeping. Yee haw! I have a feeling I mixed up the positive and negative leads to the battery one day which blew the fuse. That won't happen again!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
NorthernGuy wrote:
Also, I don't have a battery shut off so it has to be a fuse or the converter. I am going to try again by buying a new battery and some fuses and see what happens.

Inline with the cable connected to the battery positive terminal is a resettable circuit breaker that's likely open, which you can confirm by with a DVM. If it is just replace it with another, likely 20 amp for a popup. Ruston RV has them in stock.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NorthernGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. I know it was not a bad battery because I was a little hot headed and sold the battery and box. So it had to be working or that guy would have brought it right back to me. The trailer is always stored inside with no corrosion or mice problems. Also, I don't have a battery shut off so it has to be a fuse or the converter. I am going to try again by buying a new battery and some fuses and see what happens. Will let you know how things turn out.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
how do you know the battery is ok, lok for main fuse or a cut off switch, IF you,ve done nothing different from the time you put it away? start at the battery clean post load test,any auto store does it for free.get a checp meter and follow the 12v line from the battery till you find the problem. I,m betting on a bad battery .

X2

2014 models hit dealer lots in 2013. Your battery could be five years old. Not unusual for battery failure at that age.

Primary suspects would be:

1. bad battery
2. corroded battery connections
3. battery shut off switch
4. blown fuse / short stop breaker (a pop-up may not have a short stop breaker)
5. damaged wire (maybe chewed by a mouse)
6. converter problem

In that order.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
how do you know the battery is ok, lok for main fuse or a cut off switch, IF you,ve done nothing different from the time you put it away? start at the battery clean post load test,any auto store does it for free.get a checp meter and follow the 12v line from the battery till you find the problem. I,m betting on a bad battery .