cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRW v. DRW

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of purchasing a Columbus 385bhs GVW 15940. But I'm unsure if a new 3500 Dodge Longhorn mega cab SRW with a tow capacity of 16720 will be fine for towing, or should I move to a dually.

Please advise Thanks

Pin weight of camper is 1920 dry weight 12,300
Payload of truck is a little more than 4000 lbs

Is length of camper an issue besides weight of camper?
25 REPLIES 25

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at THESE charts your listed ratings are indeed correct. I was surprised as the previous Mega Cabs numbers were much lower.
Looks like it will do the trick without going to a DRW. I just perfer the DRW for stability on mountain roads, not to mention the SRW had no where near this much payload back in 06 :E
If this truck is going to be a daily driver also I would lean in that direction. If this is more of a dedicated TV I'd op for the DRW.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

blt2ski
This question is no different than 150 vs 250! if the lighter gvwr truck has the payload to handle the hitch wt, people etc, then the lighter truck will work, assuming it has the drive train to handle the total load, and perform as you the owner.driver wants it too! If not, then one needs to go to the higher gvwr truck, to get one or both of, payload, and potentially a larger hp torque motor, lower gearing etc to have said rig perform as one needs it too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dually can obviously handle more pin weight than a SRW. The SRW gets better fuel economy - especially with Ford where the duals dictate the rear axle ratio- SRW can be purchased with a short box which makes it a little nicer to drive in the city. SRW has better traction in snow and mud. As for price of the truck - a loaded King Ranch dually will save you about three hundred dollars as compared to a loaded King Ranch SRW short box - the 20" wheels are more expensive than going to the 6 smaller wheels but the fuel savings of the SRW will offset that cost in little time. In your case a SRW should do just fine. I would stick to a SRW for the pin weight your talking. I should be using a dually for my gooseneck trailer but because I just hate the thought of driving a dually around without a trailer hooked I am much happier overall with a SRW. Maybe its more about image than anything else.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the minority. If the numbers do not exceed the truck, I'd get the SRW. But as said earlier, check those numbers for your payload. That was the only reason we went from the an SRW to a dually: the pin weight was way over.

As for stability, I never thought it was a big difference. I went from an '09 F350 SRW to a 2011 F450. Stability with both trucks was absolutely fine for our 44' toy hauler and driving an SRW as a daily driver is much easier than a dually. IMO.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Most people would say get a DRW. And I do not necessarily disagree, especially if cost is not a concern at all and you do not mind having such a wide truck in general.

If, on the other hand, you would actually prefer to stay with a SRW, it could still be doable.

I assume the pin weight value came from the manufacturer based on dry weight. I found a dry weight number for this fiver as a little over 12,000 pounds. So this particular trailer is not real nose heavy compared to some others. If I add 3,000 for "stuff" and assume 20% ends up on the pin, then you would appear to be able to handle the weight with a reasonable amount of room to spare.

I guess another consideration might be how you intend to use the trailer. If you are heading out for an extended road trip of a lifetime, like maybe to Alaska, then the "belt and suspenders" approach most of us would take in planning a mega vacation would say get a DRW.

But, if you a looking more for destination camping, and the math works out, a SRW is still a reasonable option.

I am towing a very nose heavy 36 foot fiver, which we pack with snowbird amounts of gear, some fresh water, plus there is a second A/C unit and a washer/dryer combo. I have had no problems with towing or handling.

Also, if there is an option for any upgrade on the truck's tires, take it (money well spent).

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Get the dually. You will never regret it.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
After having both, I wouldn't even think of a srw for that much load. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
We got our first DRW about a year ago, love the step up from the SRW, much more stable, rides much better, our GVW is 15,950.
Actual weight of our 5er is 15,200 with a pin weight of 3,450.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ducky69
Explorer
Explorer
Payload for truck is 4200 lbs. Pin weight is 1920. Sorry I should have included that before

blt2ski
Tow capacity is NOT the thing you want to worry about, It is PAYLOAD of your current truck! Do you have 4000lbs of payload available? If so, your current truck will do it, if not, your truck is overloaded! even if under its tow rating!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have a dually forbtowing race cars, and IMHO, I would get the dually for that much trailer.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized