cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SRW vs DRW

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
At what weight / length FW is DRW a necessity? Realizing it's very subjective, but is there a consensus? Assuming everything else is equal on the tow rig.
42 REPLIES 42

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acdii wrote:
When to consider a Dual RW is when the trailer is an ultra wide 101". Usually trailers that wide are also over the 16K GVWR and for stability purposes a Dually is a better choice. The trailers are wider than the SRW trucks.

Tomorrow I pick up a brand new 3660SUITE that will be towed with my 2012 F350 SB. According to the manufacturer, the UVW and pin weights, plus what we normally carried in our last trailer puts the trailer ~12628 pounds. @ 18% pin that gives me ~300 available payload. The empty pin weight is ~15.5%. Even if it jumps to 20% pin weight I am still OK, within ratings.

Here's the only thing I am a bit leery on, it is 42.5' long. I don't foresee issues, but would be more comfortable with a LB truck. The extra 18" of WB just gives it a bit more stability. I don't see it as Dually territory though. Wider, Heavier, and over 42' and then I would consider Dually.

Wow, talk about a lightweight!
Just wondering how they build a 42.5' 5er with a dry weight of 10,828# and a GVWR of 13,655#. I would not want to be fooled by the dry pin percentage of 15.3% if you get to 20% you now have a 2,731#. Good luck getting the balance right.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Wouldnโ€™t have a DRW unless absolutely needed. Too difficult to park, drive off-road etc.

gee when I say I don't want a "monster" truck I get fussed at here. :s
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If looking for a rough idea, I would say around 14-16k I would be moving up to DRW.

But as others have said, you need to pull the real numbers.

Keep in mind it's not just the difference between brands, if you are buying used, the numbers change over the years.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to consider: will the weight of the trailer put you over ANY ratings for the truck? Just asking/saying cuz if you get into a wreck and injure someone else or worse, some sue happy atty will go over things with a fine tooth comb and if over, you could be in a bigger heap of doo-doo.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
When to consider a Dual RW is when the trailer is an ultra wide 101". Usually trailers that wide are also over the 16K GVWR and for stability purposes a Dually is a better choice. The trailers are wider than the SRW trucks.

Tomorrow I pick up a brand new 3660SUITE that will be towed with my 2012 F350 SB. According to the manufacturer, the UVW and pin weights, plus what we normally carried in our last trailer puts the trailer ~12628 pounds. @ 18% pin that gives me ~300 available payload. The empty pin weight is ~15.5%. Even if it jumps to 20% pin weight I am still OK, within ratings.

Here's the only thing I am a bit leery on, it is 42.5' long. I don't foresee issues, but would be more comfortable with a LB truck. The extra 18" of WB just gives it a bit more stability. I don't see it as Dually territory though. Wider, Heavier, and over 42' and then I would consider Dually.

KD4 Said it well consider this also the DRW has 50% more rubber on the ground. How is that not be better? I bought my first DRW in 1985 and never went back. Same with the 3 axel trailer, once I had one I can't imagine looking back. That set up is so much more stable than a SRW and I don't understand the difference in daily use as other than being a little wider. You get used to that.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
My toy hauler has a hitch weight of 3,500 pounds and I need the 5,000 pound payload of a dually to carry everything else in the truck.

X2
We have a listed payload of 5,411# we have 4,000# of that available for pin so hitch, passengers, hitch, and stuff are up 1,411# of available payload, keep that in mind when looking at those payload stickers, it is all for pin weight.
Our DRW is our only vehicle, there are a few drive through I will not challenge, but if I was still working it would be parked in the same spot I use to park the 2001 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It's just math. If your trailer is withing the payload capacity of the SRW then a dually isn't necessary.
If you're talking about a better towing experience than the dually will almost always be more stable and handle better with just about any trailer.
I've been towing all manner of trailers and equipment behind my dually for 15 years. I just hook it up and go. No sway bars, no WDH, just a ball. It always tows great.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
It's not just the weight and length of the fifth wheel, other factors also matter. I work full time and have a young family, so a trailer for us is for camping and vacations and I drive my truck the rest of the time. In that scenario I'm willing to pull a larger fifth wheel with a SRW and it is a really capable truck because I don't want to deal with the drawbacks of a DRW. But if I'm retired and traveling more extensively the towing stability would matter more and the daily PITA factor of a DRW would matter less, so I'd lower the threshold where I'd go with a DRW.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My toy hauler has a hitch weight of 3,500 pounds and I need the 5,000 pound payload of a dually to carry everything else in the truck.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm... you joined 4 years ago. I suspect you know already there is far from any consensus.

Cargo capacity is generally speaking the least forgiving number and the one that is generally reached or exceeded first.

Length - there are some recommended formula's out there that take into consideration a tow vehicle's wheelspan, but that's even subjective.

I have a 40 ft 5th wheel I pull with a one ton SRW. Im within all my weight capacities and have no issues towing it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
No magic answer, the big three all have slightly different specs.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really subjective. Payload and max tow weight are determining factors for me. Wouldnโ€™t have a DRW unless absolutely needed. Too difficult to park, drive off-road etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad