Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starcraft Launch Bed ends

uno676
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I'm curious if other launch owners have had this problem with their bunkends. Mine have developed cracks in the plastic where the canvas attaches to the camper. I found the cracks less than a month after my warranty expired. So Starcraft will not cover them. I believe this is a design flaw or careless torquing of the screws by the factory.
2018 DC Tundra
2020 Micro Lite 2509
5 REPLIES 5

huntingbasalt
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Bear Creak Canvas. They did a great job on my bunk end a few years ago and they was not to expensive at that time.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
uno676 wrote:
Thanks Starcraft told me I was out of luck so I guess either I buy new canopies or figure out a home brew way of fixing them. I was 3 weeks past my warranty when I found the cracking. I’m sure it was there before I just didn’t see it. I have found several others with the same problem on Facebook. Some had only had them a month.

Sounds like Thor Industries is remaking Starcraft's previously wonderful customer service, into its own lousy image.
I've heard the same attitude with Jayco now.
Too bad because both companies had great support reputations.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

uno676
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Starcraft told me I was out of luck so I guess either I buy new canopies or figure out a home brew way of fixing them. I was 3 weeks past my warranty when I found the cracking. I’m sure it was there before I just didn’t see it. I have found several others with the same problem on Facebook. Some had only had them a month.
2018 DC Tundra
2020 Micro Lite 2509

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
uno676 wrote:
Hi
I'm curious if other launch owners have had this problem with their bunkends. Mine have developed cracks in the plastic where the canvas attaches to the camper. I found the cracks less than a month after my warranty expired. So Starcraft will not cover them. I believe this is a design flaw or careless torquing of the screws by the factory.

You'll need to plead your case to Starcraft. Starcraft uses Lippert Securelock doors, and what you are referring to is called J lock. It has been known to crack/split. Especially if the tenting was installed too tight. Its not uncommon at all.

The repair is either new complete tents, or to have someone capable of sewing the heavy material / plastic together replace the J lock. The J lock is hard to find. If you bought it new did you save the tags that should of been hanging on the tents or have been in the document package? That might lead you to help from the tent supplier. Every hybrid manufacturer except for Forest River's Rockwood/Flagstaff and Palomino brands uses the Lippert Doors, but they all don't use the same tent vendors.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Cracks cause by leaning too hard, kids bouncing around et al.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt