cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Batteries

gusco01
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had my neighbors tell me that there RV batteries have been stolen, Ive even had my propane bottle stolen from my gas grill by my front door. Anyway I have a travel trailer with 2, 6 volt batteries on the toung. I know we can't be the only ones that have had things stolen from there travel trailers. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had come up with a way to lock batteries on the toung of there trailers so they won't get stolen? I'm looking for a system that will work good and still look good also. Thanks in advance for your answers!
10 REPLIES 10

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is what I did. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this other post:

Click me
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of placing the batteries in a metal lock box that has the PADDLE LATCH W/KEY LOCK verses a MASTER lock in a hasp type hinge lock. With a metal box you also have to deal with proper venting and drainage of battery fluids and battery gas exhaust.

I would also mount the metal battery box on top of the trailer frame with the mounting round head stove type bolts coming through the trailer tongue and bolted down inside the metal battery box. All of this will not totally protect your batteries from thief but will slow them down considerably.

I use a long shank pad lock through the twist handle of my two propane tanks

All PHOTOs from GOOGLE IMAGEs

This will not keep your tanks totally safe from thief but will slow them down a minute or two maybe...

The thieves will be equipped with bolt cutters and portable power saws and can get your batteries and propane tanks in just a few seconds time.

My trailer is also equipped with motion sensors outside lights when parked.

Lots of info on this subject

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Power Armor by TORKLIFT
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Torklift provides locking mechanisms for both propane and batteries.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

no2tracks
Explorer
Explorer
I bought these for my 2 batteries. Work well.
http://www.b-drvbatterylock.com/
I take my batteries out and put them in my shed on tenders when not in use.
It's not a big deal for me to lock or unlock them.
1987 21'Kit Companion

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Knock on wood. I have lived here 30 years and don't know where the key is for the house and the key is in our pickup. The only thing we ever lost was a shifter cart but the kid told us where he left it. Maybe a joy ride. I think you should move to a better place with less crime.

You may not be aware of any crime but if you have a police dept in your town they have crime. Otherwise you are paying too much in taxes for unneeded services :S

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Knock on wood. I have lived here 30 years and don't know where the key is for the house and the key is in our pickup. The only thing we ever lost was a shifter cart but the kid told us where he left it. Maybe a joy ride. I think you should move to a better place with less crime.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only have a single 12v, so it's easy enough to remove it when it's stored during the winter. Even when I had 2 12v's, I took them both out when it was stored. I leave them in during the camping season between trips and have been lucky so far I guess. It's parked on my side yard at home, behind a little picket fence, but visible from the street.

I've seen some pretty cool setups by some members that have put diamond plate boxes on their tongue with lockable lids.

I have a cable lock around my propane tanks, but it wouldn't take much to cut that.. 😉 Just keeps them from walking away too easily is all.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Several folks have locked their batteries in a metal box. A small truck work box, etc.

Hopefully someone will post some pictures of their modification.

Edit - here is what one member of the forum has for his battery box
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT