cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing awning for winter?

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
New camper for me and I just winterized it. II was wondering what everyone does with the awning for the winter. It seems to the awning is always wet and I don't really want to stor it under the rv cover while all wet. Should I being doing something with it? I was going to clean it and let it dry and then put he trailer cover over it.
6 REPLIES 6

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I do is, my trailer is under cover, so I before I back it in, I roll out the awning and lock it out so it don't roll up, then push the side arms up and the awning hangs limp on the side of the trailer and stays dry.
Terry Witt

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
A cup of Oxyclean in a bucket of water. Use a sponge mop to get the awning as wet with the solution as you can, then roll it up and forget about it until next spring, when it will be clean and only need a good rinse.

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I picked up some magic erasers and will try that thIs week and see how it goes.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Makes sense. Not a question. Whether it's a wet pair of socks or a competition awning if you store it wet it will stay wet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
That's pretty much all you can do. Try to dry them out, clean them, roll them up and forget them for the winter.

Next Spring when you open it, it will be full of water and have black mold everywhere and look like it's 300 years old.

Any and every time I've done this my awning has been as clean in the spring as it was when I covered the trailer in the fall, no issues at all. Just make sure it's dry when the cover goes on and forgetaboutit. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty much all you can do. Try to dry them out, clean them, roll them up and forget them for the winter.

Next Spring when you open it, it will be full of water and have black mold everywhere and look like it's 300 years old.

If you cover the awning with the RV cover, it will help keep water out. But somehow, even with a cover, mine always managed to have water in the Spring, no matter how hard I tried to keep it dry.

About the black mold and such. When I started cleaning my awning with Mr. Clean Magic erasers, the mold problem vanished. I could roll the awning up in the Winter and come Spring, even if left uncovered, the awning was/is clean as a whistle. There's something in the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that inhibits mold from growing. It's by far the best cleaner I've found for my awning to prevent black mold from forming.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Always just wipe it nice and wet. Do not scrub. The follow up with a dry cloth and dry it. There's something about the chemicals that stops the mold. If you rinse it with a hose, you'll flush it all away, and the mold will come back. I don't know how it works, I just know it does.

Wipe, dry, done...small areas at a time.