cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suburban as a tv for first tme

pk54
Explorer
Explorer
We have 28 ft Keystone Outback, GVWR 7,000 lb that we have always pulled with our 1/2 Ton pickup. The pickup is set up for pulling with airbag assist suspension and a 6.2 engine and it does a great job. We need extra space to take our 4 grandkids on a trip so we are looking at using a 2011 suburban with a 5.3 engine, transmission cooler, but nothing extra on the suspension. The trailer has a Reese WD, anti-sway hitch. Do you feel that will be sufficient for our 1,500 mile trip? My only other option is for us to take two vehicles and my wife would follow me in the car. We'd like to avoid using two vehicles, but want to make sure the suburban will do the job. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

jcgib81
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my Keystone Bullet Premier with a 2007 Suburban 5.3. I did put airbags in the rear which helped. The 5.3 liter struggled. It towed but never felt comfortable.
Two years ago I switched to 2011 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. Night and day towing. Love it.

Pretty close to weights for the travel trailers. So yes you will be able but it will struggle.
Just my 2 cents.
2012 Keystone Premier 31BHPR (Blue Body Paint)
2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali Equalizer WD
DW,DS,DD

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you are used to how the 6.2L tows, the 5.3L may be frustrating. IF you do not have the Suburban already, then you may want to seek out a Yukon XL Denali, or even better a 2500 Suburban/Yuk XL.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow rating easy.
Combined weights easy
Hitch rating easy.
Max cargo capacity is vehicle dependent, not so easy.

My F-150 can pull 9500 lbs. It can only carry 1411 lbs. Adults, dog and tongue weight use up most of that.

What is the suburban's max cargo capacity?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a note, if you can find one I have observed that there's a lot of 2500/250 series vans out there that have a good tow weight rating and will offer you a lot of interior room. From what I have seen, just looking myself, the 2500 series vans all have a higher rating than the 1500 Suburbans.

NavyVetBullet28
Explorer
Explorer
This is somewhat off topic but I haven't been able to find info anywhere else. Do you have to extend the slide in order to load/unload gear from your TT? Also, how much walking room is there from the master Bedroom to the bathroom when the sofa couch is in use as a bed? Thank you and I hope you're enjoying your Bullet. If everything goes well, we'll be proud Bullet owners ourselves in a few months. Cheers!

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
At 7200# your hitch weight would be 930# so that's under the hitch rating. Looks like your payload is around 1500# but I would weigh your vehicle loaded with gas, people and supplies and subtract that from its GVWR to see how close you are to that number and go from there! Good luck!

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Good day. I have a 2011 Suburban LT with heavy duty towing package that includes extra cooling for oil, transmission, and radiator. The tow rating is 8100 lbs and tongue rating is 1100 as long as weight distribution is used. The max rating for everything: truck, passengers, cargo, trailer and its cargo is 14,000 lbs. We recently upgraded our trailer to a Keystone 287QBS, 32 Feet, 7200 GWVR. The trailer is around 5400 empty. I have a 1200 lb Equalizer hitch. A few weeks ago, we made our first long distance pull with this new trailer and went 1900 miles round trip. We had 3 kids and a toolbox that could count as a passenger. I wanted to have whole set-up weighed before we left just to see where we were at, but didn't get a chance to. So off we went. All was well for entire trip and encountered no issues whatsoever, other than fuel burn! The dash said 7.5 MPG average, but doing the math with fuel receipts was more like 6-7 MPG. and on some steep grades, was in 2nd gear at times driving 30 MPH. I was refueling in less than 200 miles to play it safe. Much less than when we went from Florida to Yosemite and back at 250+ miles per tank with our old trailer. Also: did begin to have messages and indicator stating that the traction control and stabilitrack system has been disabled, but was usually able to reset it. This only occurred while towing and caused no handling issues as roads were dry. Overall good towing experience and enjoyed the trip.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
If the Suburban doesn't have the heavy duty tow package, it won't get the job done. We have had 2 Tahoes with the tow package and they are rated to tow about 8200lbs. Without tow package it's rated for like 5500lbs and will definitely not do the job. Suburbans have similar ratings, but actually a little less than the Tahoe because the Suburban naturally weighs more. The biggest issue would definitely be payload even with the Suburban with a tow package, but if you had less than 1000lbs of tongue weight and nothing in the vehicle, but 2 adults and 4 super light kids you'd probably be right on the borderline on payload/axle weight. Just make sure to keep all your accessories and what not in the trailer. If you'll be towing into mountainous areas, it'll probably struggle, but on flat land you could probably get away with it. My Tahoe is on the border with all the weight ratings, but I've towed all over the country. I've been looking to upgrade to a Suburban 2500, but finding an LT model in my area has proven difficult. Once I locate one, I'll be upgrading. I need the room for dogs and people.

If you're purchasing the Suburban, I'd try to find the Suburban 2500. If you're borrowing it from a friend or something, make sure it has the tow package. Otherwise, you're probably looking at 2 vehicles OR trying to find a 2500 level or higher van to rent/borrow.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for a 2500 Suburban with the 6.0, instead of the 1500 Suburban with the 5.3.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the guy he'll probably be over his payload but if he has the wd hitch he'll be ok. No, he'll be overloaded and that's not good! Well 60% of people towing are overloaded so he'll fit right in!

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Is it an option to put all 4 in the backseat of the PU? Guessing it's a GMC with the 6.2 option which makes me think the rear seat might be a little small for 4.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
If mostly flat land then it will do fine. I am guessing your tongue weight will be around 800 pounds or so which will pretty much max you with 350 for passengers and 100 pounds for the WD hitch. Might be over the cargo capacity by a couple hundred. Biggest issue I see is the soft suspension on the Burb.

If you get the weight distribution hitch set up well then it will be ok. Fairly long wheelbase so sway will be tolerable. Side winds will be pretty noticeable especially out there on the plains. It will be slow so just keep the overdrive off and take your time.

It will not be a tow you will want to make all the time but will work for a one-off trip. It will make you appreciate your pick-up for sure.

pk54
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. To answer some of the questions: no my pu doesn't have a bench seat in the front so we can only carry five with driver. Our grandkids are all under the age of 11 so their little bodies aren't going to add much wt. maybe 225 lbs total. Yes I would love to find a 3/4 ton suburban to rent but they are hard to come by. I've checked with all our local rent-a-car dealers and none will rent a tv, insurance reasons I guess. We will only be gone 5 days so don't need a pile of stuff. The campground has full hookups so wont carry extra water or waste when traveling.I would love to hear from someone that has towed with a suburban or similar vehicle. Thanks again for weighing in.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with the 1500 Suburban is lack of payload. Once you have bodies in the seats and some travel stuff they generally are right at max payload with little to no room for hitch weight. Now, if you could find a low mileage 2500 Suburban it could make a great tow vehicle.