cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supporting the roof

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
My Apex Outfitter is 11+ years old, and has developed a crack in the inside roof extending from the air conditioner to the rear vent. During hard rain there is some dripping around both places, where the AC and vent penetrate thru the roof. I've fixed the vent leak using a spray rubber, but there is no way of getting underneath the AC to apply anything. I blame the development of the crack to 11 years of gravity pulling down on the 100 lb AC unit, and bouncing up/down on rough roads. I did a search on these forums for 'supporting roof' and got no hits. Apparently this problem is uncommon. So I am wondering whether anyone supports their roof from the inside of the camper to prevent the development of this kind of 'roof sag', particularly so if it is unused for a long time? I have rigged a support from an old bumper jack, a length of 2"PVC pipe and a T made from a 2x4, and this definitely works for me. I suspect over the longer term my solution will be to have the roof replaced without an AC on the roof.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
5 REPLIES 5

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on pulling AC out, investigate what really happen before taking future action.
I have 2 TC both 17 years old and both hold the AC just fine.
Lance is famous for having single piece metal roof and with good seals around openings it holds very well, although ugly.
Fleetwood has rubber roof and that gave me some headaches at trims, but again, no structural problems.
I think if the problem is structural, you might be due to pull the roof out and rebuild/reinforce.
There is new roof coating at Home Depot.
White silicone stuff, that cost over $200/bucket. I applied it on my house roof 18 months ago and it holds very well, so Fleetwood roof waits its turn.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Without know the structure or what it's made of the possibility of using 2 pieces of angle iron, either steel or aluminum attached at both ends on either side of the ac unit.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think the Apex Outfitter is a popup roof camper, and I think the roof is one piece composite materiel,

Not if it is 11 years old. Outfitter changed the design from "traditional" to a one-piece composite roof around 2010.

Of course you can get under the AC ... you need to take it off. Any band-aid style fix will not last long. You will probably need to strip the roof down to the bare TPO, remove the TPO, and replace or repair any damage you find underneath. I agree that any visible leaks have probably been invisible for a long time beforehand, and that there is significant damage in the roof that needs to be adressed.

The camper shell is aluminum framed, but I am not sure what the frames of the older roofs were made of.

Any chance to take it to Colorado and have the manufacturer put a new roof on?
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Apex Outfitter is a popup roof camper, and I think the roof is one piece composite materiel, not a rafter and covering roof like your thinking of Gary.

But sorry Original Poster, I have no idea how to strengthen it,
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you are having visible leaks, I'm sure you've had a leak problem for MUCH longer and the roof structure around the A/C and vent are now seriously compromised from long term water damage. Not an uncommon problem when roof leaks go undetected for years. You only real option is to rebuild the roof. A/Cs have a large foam gasket that, over time, shrinks and requires occasional tightening of the 4 bolts that hold the A/C in place (hidden behind the inside plastic trim piece). You will have to remove the vent and A/C and tear into the roof. Just rebuild it the same as it was originally constructed and you will be fine. Regardless of the A/Cs weight, a properly built roof (yours lasted 11 years) has no problem supporting them. Just be more diligent with maintaining the roof next time. The good thing about this is that material costs are really not much and your labor is the main "cost". If you need someone to do it for you, the price can quickly make getting another RV a better option.