Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SUV Tow Vehicle Search - for 35 ft TT

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are possibly looking at getting a newer Tow Vehicle to replace our 2002 Suburban 2500 8.1, 4.10 (max tow is 12k). This is my wife's daily driver (she works from home, so not a huge deal on gas mileage) and we are looking at options to get something newer to tow our 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29BH (Unloaded weight is 7200lbs).

From what I've heard and my research, there is NOT an SUV built today that will safely and comfortably tow my travel trailer. I believe the max tow I have seen is the Ford Expedition that will tow 9300 lbs; but that is a 2 wheel drive. It seems that the Cadillac Escalade has plenty of engine - HP: 440 and TQ: 460 - which is more than my suburban, but it's rated at right around 8k. I believe I need tow capacity of atleast 10k.

Anyone have any insights of folks that have needs for an SUV that has a tow capacity of atleast 10k lbs. What do you recommend?
44 REPLIES 44

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
carringb, thanks for this update.

While you're at it, I recall you posted a similar E-450 upfitter rig for passenger duty setup for outfitters? Can you re-post that one as well?
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Well if money is no object, SportsMobile will build you a brand new E350 van, on a new cutaway chassis using their own van-replica body. This nets you the V10, 6-speed TorqueShift combo, Dynatrac axles, Atlas transfer case, and all the accessories you could ever need for dragging a trailer around.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I can say that I have had the three vehicles discussed. The new 6.0 with 6 sp tows my trailer as well as the 8.1, and gets 40% better fuel economy. I had a crew cab, because the kids were older and would not go at the same time. They did. I got the 3500 Express, and it is the best dedicated family vehicle. A one year old van is cheaper than a 5 year old pickup, can haul 12ft lumber inside, can take 11 friends somewhere, and can haul your trailer.

BurbMan wrote:
We are in the same boat, the burb just turned 180k and still not sure what's next. I thought I was set on a Ram double cab with the 6.4 Hemi, but am now back to thinking full size van with Quigley 4WD conversion.

We were thinking an Express/Savana 3500 would be our next TV as well. How do you feel about the lower GCWR (16,000 for the van vs 19,000 for the 8.1/4.10 burb)?
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
But if they could label it a truck with a 3rd row option......that would be perfect.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
anw7405 wrote:
You would think in this day and age of technology one of the big 3 would figure out that there is a need out there for 3 rows of seats and heavy towing. Not a big one but it's there. I think this could be done with a truck similar to the avalanche but in reverse. Instead of taking away a seat to gain cargo space you would take away cargo space and add a seat. Even a convertible type top would work. It's kinda frustrating. I'll just keep driving my 8.1 burb until something is available.

An HD SUV would hurt the fleet fuel economy numbers under CAFE. Unless fuel economy targets are eased we won't see another HD SUV, barring a new technology that would eliminate the CAFE implications.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
You would think in this day and age of technology one of the big 3 would figure out that there is a need out there for 3 rows of seats and heavy towing. Not a big one but it's there. I think this could be done with a truck similar to the avalanche but in reverse. Instead of taking away a seat to gain cargo space you would take away cargo space and add a seat. Even a convertible type top would work. It's kinda frustrating. I'll just keep driving my 8.1 burb until something is available.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
All it takes is money. This guy will build you an Excursion. All you have to do is give him $49000 AND a new F350.

Or a sweet brand new Duramax Suburban for ~$135K.

Duraburb on Youtube
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
All it takes is money. This guy will build you an Excursion. All you have to do is give him $49000 AND a new F350.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jlrmfc21 wrote:

From what I've heard and my research, there is NOT an SUV built today that will safely and comfortably tow my travel trailer. I believe the max tow I have seen is the Ford Expedition that will tow 9300 lbs; but that is a 2 wheel drive. It seems that the Cadillac Escalade has plenty of engine - HP: 440 and TQ: 460 - which is more than my suburban, but it's rated at right around 8k. I believe I need tow capacity of atleast 10k.

Anyone have any insights of folks that have needs for an SUV that has a tow capacity of atleast 10k lbs. What do you recommend?

I think you are SOL !

You are going to need a 3/4 ton pickup.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the same as Mr Grimm, satellite radio, bluetooth, touch screen nav and back up camera. Metra makes a double-din dash kit now.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlrmfc21 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, and I think the 2012/2013 3/4 ton suburbans would be a disappointment with the 6.0 that they have compared to my current 8.1.

I love the 3/4 trucks. The issue isn't really having the passenger room, it's more about where do we put our luggage, bags, etc for a family of 4 - other than in the bed of the truck. That's an option, but when it's raining.....that sucks. I guess I could get a truck cab with it, but it's still a bed of a truck rather than having everything be in an interior area.

I think a 3/4 ton crew cab with a hard-side bed topper is going to be your best option, for towing a trailer that size, plus family stuff.

With a trailer that size, you should be able to put most everything in it, and not need a lot of bags in the truck. One small bag with road trip gear for each person should do it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We just put a retractable cover on our truck bed. It fits on over the 5th wheel hitch, and this weekend we're doing exactly what you talk about, we're putting all our stuff in the back and leaving the cover on, the dogs go in the backseat of the truck, and we're pulling our RZR on a utility trailer. Then, in a few weeks when we're taking the 5er, we just retract the cover.

I would agree that I don't think a 35' travel trailer is towable by any newer SUV,and I'm a big Ford SUV fan. Not sure you need a dually like we have, but you'll want something better than an SUV. I know when we had an F-250 I drove it to work sometimes, and it was fine, even in the city. (I'm a wife :)). I like driving the dually too but notsomuch parking it in crowded parking lots.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I can say that I have had the three vehicles discussed. The new 6.0 with 6 sp tows my trailer as well as the 8.1, and gets 40% better fuel economy. I had a crew cab, because the kids were older and would not go at the same time. They did. I got the 3500 Express, and it is the best dedicated family vehicle. A one year old van is cheaper than a 5 year old pickup, can haul 12ft lumber inside, can take 11 friends somewhere, and can haul your trailer.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Last March I installed a new dash bezel and put in a double-din Pioneer/Apple CarPlay stereo. Already had a backup camera with my previous stereo that I still use. The Pioneer stereo has two camera inputs, so I use the second for a camera I have on the back of my TT.

A few years ago I replaced all of the speakers, including the 8โ€ subwoofer in the back. This is enough for us to hold on to our burb for a while longer.
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
As much as I like the idea of new trucks, it's hard to improve on what you have. If the body and frame are rust-free, consider getting a whole new leather interior, upgrade your electronics, maybe decent, quality aftermarket wheels and tires. A fraction of the new(er) vehicle cost.

On the other hand, you did say, family of 4, daily driver for your wife, short distance. Hmmm... "Dear, I'd like to be able to take our family to more out of the way places, enjoy nature, provide you with a safe vehicle, that can transport the family safely even in rough conditions..."

How about this: (They call it the Prospector, It's built by American Expediton Vehicles, and carries full factory and upfitter warranty)!
Ram Big Horn AEV Prospector

"It has 4.10 gears, 10,000LB GVWR, 3,300LB payload, 22,800LB GCWR, and 15,630 max trailer weight rating, we've had the Burb and long time, and the kids are growing fast and..but just look at it!" :C
AEV Prospector Ram
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler