cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Control

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I have taken our new single axle RV out a couple times and am struggling with the wind it moves the trailer quite a bit, I have a Weight Distribution hitch , it seems to help just a little, I also bought a sway control bar, I have been told that should help quite a bit, do you have any experience with those bars or is there something else i should try.

Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have between 400 and 600 lbs of hitch weight for that TT.
Shortening the ball mount (to reduce rear overhang distance) can help a bit.
Make sure tires are aired up to max cold sidewall pressure. If P tires, switching to LT tires (stiffer sidewalls) with a lower profile could reduce side to side tire squirm.
The sway bar can help, but if it gets wet in rain the friction is reduced. And when backing up it must be loosened or it can get bent. I prefer a WD hitch with sway control built in, like for example Equal-i-zer or Andersen No-Sway.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Load tongue weight heavier. With the light weight tow vehicle it's never going to be perfect. Air your back tires up all the way to the pressure on the sidewall.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
also make sure tire pressure is correct at all 6 wheels
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
good starting point would be to head for the scales and get your real world numbers. the tongue should have roughly 13 percent of the trailers real world loaded weight. going to 15 percent wont hurt and will likely help with the sway.

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer
it is a 2019 Catalina Summit 172BHS and I am towing it with a 2017 chevrolet colorado. not too sure of the tongue weight.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
should help, a single axle is always going to be a bit less stable but should be manageable. what trailer, what tow vehicle and what hitch? also whats your tongue weight percentage?