cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching tires and wheels on Ram 2500. TPMS?

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
I finally located some of the 2014 factory 20" tires and wheels to install on my '13 2500 that came with 17" wheels. I know next to nothing about the TPMS system, so I was wondering if anyone knew what I would need to do to get my TPMS sensors on my new wheels, and if they will "sync up". I also was curious, will I need to have the dealer do the update to larger wheels and tires, or can this be done elsewhere? Thanks in advance..
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
2014 Cross Roads Zinger 31sb
7 REPLIES 7

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
I think you will want the dealer to take the TPMS out of the 17" wheels on your 2013 and install them into the 20" 2014 wheels. Then they will need to get into the computer via the ODB2 port and select the new wheel/tire size so your truck computer has the correct wheel settings.

I could be wrong but I do remember some talk of the sensors being different between 2013 and 2014 - shouldn't be a problem though taking the 2013 sensors out of your old wheels and installing them into the new wheels.

TPMS only measure air pressure and have nothing to do with the tire diameter and the odometer and speedometer accuracy. You can move them to the new rims and then the truck needs to be reset to recognize each new tire position on the truck. The tire shop can do this for you are you can follow a sequence where you let out the air from each tire in turn to generate the correct settings in the truck's computer.

Unless the new tire diameter is the same as a factory provided tire size the dealers probably will not be able to make the change in settings. GM could not do it for my new tires that were 4% larger in diameter. Not a big deal as it meant the truck as at 52 MPH when the odometer read 50 MPH and when the odometer showed a distance traveled of 100 miles it was actually closer to 104 miles. As it turned out with a heavy load on the rear wheels the odometer was accurate with the new tires as the tire height with the load was the same as for the factory tires with no load.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
They should just sync up just fine. If you want to buy new sensors for this set, you just pop them in the tires and drive away. The truck automatically picks up the sensors. Ram has a pretty easy system. The system doesn't require any programming or special tools for sensors.

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss, I just checked the tires, both 17" and 20"(Firestone TransForce) max pressure is 80psi, so good there.

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate your responses, please keep them coming. I'd been looking for the right deal on a set of these for a couple months, and finally one came up on craigslist. Hate that they're in my shop instead of on the truck though. Soon..

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
The LT tires run at 70 psi. If the 20" tires run at a lower pressure, your TPMS will give you a message about low pressure. I've heard that a dealer may be able to reprogram your computer.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
BTW - I like the 20" factories on the 2014s better than the 17" ones I have on my 2013 as well.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will want the dealer to take the TPMS out of the 17" wheels on your 2013 and install them into the 20" 2014 wheels. Then they will need to get into the computer via the ODB2 port and select the new wheel/tire size so your truck computer has the correct wheel settings.

I could be wrong but I do remember some talk of the sensors being different between 2013 and 2014 - shouldn't be a problem though taking the 2013 sensors out of your old wheels and installing them into the new wheels.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4