cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching trucks for a trip?

PHS79
Explorer
Explorer
We have a week long trip to the Black Hills and Deadwood SD booked for this summer, it will be a about 1500 miles from WI and back. Our TT is a 2013 Passport 3220BH (with Reese Dual Cam hitch) that I tow with my 2004 F150 SC, 6.5ft box, FX4, 5.4L, 3.73 gears. One day talking to my parents my dad offered to let us use his 2002 F350 SC, DRW, 8ft box, 4x4, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 gears. Both trucks are low mileage, 66,000 miles (mine) and 85,000 miles (dads), and in excellent condition

I have no problem using my truck for the trip, but I also think I would be foolish not to use dads F350 since there is no comparison of towing performance between the two trucks.

Am I thinking of this wrong since we now planning on taking dads truck?

The only down sides that I can think of is that I have a feeling after the trip I will end up wanting a diesel as my full time tow rig and I will have to mess with my hitch to to get the correct setup.
2004 F150 FX4, with lots of mods and way too much money dumped into the truck for said mods
2013 Passport 3220BH
old TTs:
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH
2001 Kodiak K215
16 REPLIES 16

PHS79
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone, it looks like we will be taking my old mans truck for the trip.
2004 F150 FX4, with lots of mods and way too much money dumped into the truck for said mods
2013 Passport 3220BH
old TTs:
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH
2001 Kodiak K215

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
i did the same trip last summer with by 2010 Silverado 1500. My trailer is a 33 footer which comes in around 8k. The truck did the job but i took it pretty easy on it and told myself if after this trip a 2500 is in my future. the long drives were tiring and with the speed limit being 75 I think , cars and trucks were zipping by while I went about 62. There was a fair amount of single lane road construction on the freeway which was a bit of a white knuckle for me. Depending where you stay there can be some big climbs Custer. We stayed at bluebell and there is a pretty big climb for a guy from wi. In short take the bigger truck especially if this is your first time towing out that way. We are going to Yellowstone this summer and I have a 2500 in the garage now.

I'm also from WI and went out west this past summer on my Harley and saw all sorts of 1/2 tons and said to my wife if we ever went out west with the family and the camper, we'd need a new truck. I now have a new 2500 in my garage too. Can't wait for the upcoming trip 🙂
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Got to agree with most of the other posters. We went to the Black hills the week of July 4th in 2014. Going west on I-90 we ran into an absolutely brutal headwind. Thankfully, we didn't take the camper with us on that trip. Don't know if that kind of wind is common or not there, but the many RV's that we did see were really struggling. They were swaying all over the place and struggling to stay in one lane. Just based on that, I would definitely take the diesel truck if it were me. Enjoy your trip, we loved it there.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Make sure you return your dad's truck, after your trip, clean and with a ful tank of fuel. 🙂
And maybe an oil change too.

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
steadypraying426 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I think your DAD is wanting a new truck.........and will have found the buyer for his 2002 :B

Hahahhahaha x2!!!!
Yes!! X3
If he is willing to sell I wouldn't hesitate! 🙂
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha, sounds like me about 10 years ago. Was taking the annual trip to lake of the ozarks and had no problem pulling the boat with my half ton. But at the time I was renting a bunch of equipment from Hertz and got them to rent me a new crew cab powerstroke for the trip......for $100! Cash
After that 2000mi round trip with a truck that didn't downshift except on big grades and the 12-13mpg vs the 8-9mpg out of the gasser, I promptly found a diesel and haven't been without one since.
Doesn't matter if I'm hauling the TC, towing my 32' sled trailer, boat or combo of both, truck always has the power and brakes to tow/haul with ease.
Take the diesel. Don't worry too much about the wd hitch. Prolly won't sag much at all dropping it on the back of a 350!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I think your DAD is wanting a new truck.........and will have found the buyer for his 2002 :B

Hahahhahaha x2!!!!
Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that the liability insurance on your trailer is covered by the tow vehicle. Check with your (and your Dad's) insurance to make sure you are covered.

Have fun!

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
i did the same trip last summer with by 2010 Silverado 1500. My trailer is a 33 footer which comes in around 8k. The truck did the job but i took it pretty easy on it and told myself if after this trip a 2500 is in my future. the long drives were tiring and with the speed limit being 75 I think , cars and trucks were zipping by while I went about 62. There was a fair amount of single lane road construction on the freeway which was a bit of a white knuckle for me. Depending where you stay there can be some big climbs Custer. We stayed at bluebell and there is a pretty big climb for a guy from wi. In short take the bigger truck especially if this is your first time towing out that way. We are going to Yellowstone this summer and I have a 2500 in the garage now.

PHS79
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sounds like you've pretty much fixed in your mind you're getting one some day anyway.

My parents winter in AZ and they have mentioned a couple different times that this may be their last winter taking their 5th wheel, and have looked at maybe buying a place. I told my dad that if they do sell the 5er that I want his truck, I don't want to let his low mileage and immaculate condition 7.3L get away.

Pretty much all that I use my F150 for is towing the camper, so I can't justify buying a new truck for only putting 3000 miles a year on. So dads truck would fit my needs nicely, an extremely clean and reliable heavy duty truck (that I know the entire history on) that I would be into for $15000 or less.
2013 Passport 3220BH
old TTs:
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH
2001 Kodiak K215

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a heavy trailer, but I think you will be surprised between the two.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well; once you borrow that truck, you will most likely enjoy the stability of an HD truck and the power of the diesel. You may just may decide to upgrade sooner then you think.....I pull with the gas job and love it, despite pulling with a diesel. Both are great, the benefits of an HD truck regardless of gas or diesel will surprise you.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the way home, when you drop the DW off to grocery shop, you can go visit the local truck dealerships.........

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.