cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching trucks for a trip?

PHS79
Explorer
Explorer
We have a week long trip to the Black Hills and Deadwood SD booked for this summer, it will be a about 1500 miles from WI and back. Our TT is a 2013 Passport 3220BH (with Reese Dual Cam hitch) that I tow with my 2004 F150 SC, 6.5ft box, FX4, 5.4L, 3.73 gears. One day talking to my parents my dad offered to let us use his 2002 F350 SC, DRW, 8ft box, 4x4, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 gears. Both trucks are low mileage, 66,000 miles (mine) and 85,000 miles (dads), and in excellent condition

I have no problem using my truck for the trip, but I also think I would be foolish not to use dads F350 since there is no comparison of towing performance between the two trucks.

Am I thinking of this wrong since we now planning on taking dads truck?

The only down sides that I can think of is that I have a feeling after the trip I will end up wanting a diesel as my full time tow rig and I will have to mess with my hitch to to get the correct setup.
2004 F150 FX4, with lots of mods and way too much money dumped into the truck for said mods
2013 Passport 3220BH
old TTs:
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH
2001 Kodiak K215
16 REPLIES 16

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to adjust the hitch on your Dad's truck to fit your trailer. So when you come back home, you'll have practice for that new truck!

Go for it! Use Dad's, then get a new one! Or, just get a new one now and save a step! Sounds like you've pretty much fixed in your mind you're getting one some day anyway. Might as well be today!

(By the way, that is really nice of your dad to do this. All jokes aside, you should take him up on his offer. He'll feel better and it will give him a sense that he's helping you out on something. Parents, of all ages, need to feel their kids ... of all ages ... still need them.)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you return your dad's truck, after your trip, clean and with a ful tank of fuel. 🙂