cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC sliding around in bed

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I loaded my TC in Seattle and it was slightly off cener at the front (2" difference, so 1" off center). It was close at the back, but not touching either side. I didn't have time with daylight to fix it before the trip. We drove to Sacramento over the last couple days and now the camper is close to 3" at the front and touching on one side at the back. I don't have any blocking at the front and don't load it to the front.

I use a 3/4" horse mat on Rhino lining and Torklift tie down system. I haven't noticed any shifting in the past. It's possible the mat is flipped from what I normally have it so maybe one side is more slippery. I hate to reload it on the road, but it feels like I have to here.

I've seen guide systems that also lock the TC in place. I've also read that the thick mat is bad. The TC mfg recommends 1" plywood and 3/8" rubber mat so the cab-over clears correctly (it clears now, with 3/4" mat and spray liner). I am looking to make a change, so now's the decision time.

Does plywood slide on spray in bed liner? Is the thicker mat I'm using creating this issue? The cabover bounces a bit when driving but I'm not sure how much of that is expected or caused by thick mat. All suggestions are appreciated!
26 REPLIES 26

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
bkenobi wrote:
I guess I'll have to do something for blocking too. I wonder why the dealership would recommend my setup when it doesn't really work for anything but smooth highway driving.

Do you really have to wonder? It *IS* a dealership after all. They know nothing about the practical utilization of the product they sell. They think it's a box that sits in a paved lot on metal poles. When someone loads one into a pickup truck and drives away, it's a thing of wonder.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Hgreen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a NL and had to raise 3” using horse stall mat, then 2” condensed form, a thin horse mat on top of form. We have a 2x4 wrapped in foam in front of camper against bed front of truck for bumpers to go against to give enough clearance from truck taillights, and a pool noodle on each side between camper and wheel well pushed down tight. We waxed the bottom of the camper one time which was a disaster, and it slid all over the place. We had to de-wax the bottom. We adjusted the fast guns to specks from watching video. So far this setup is working. You have to split the pool noodles down one side to be able to wedge them in. My husband runs a string thru them and ties them to hooks in bed in case they get loose to keep from losing them.
2008 10-2RR Northern Lite
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel DRW CC LB 4WD
Torklift Tie downs, Superhitch and Truss
Rancho Shocks, Fast Guns
Tow 2001 4WD Chevy Tracker

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
Dirt, sand, or sawdust can act like ball bearings between two surfaces.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Stop block against front bed of truck works wonders for me.

My camper has never moved.

My truck and camper loading
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
bkenobi wrote:
I envisioned the tape sticky side to the camper. I wouldn't want the sand paper side to the camper.

Yes, that was what I suggested.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I envisioned the tape sticky side to the camper. I wouldn't want the sand paper side to the camper.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traction tape is sand paper. Don't think I would like my camper laying on it.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
How about having Rhino liner or like/antiskid product applied to the bottom of your fiberglass TC and use the rubber bed mat?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I have torklift fast guns and torklift frame mount tie down brackets. I like rhe anti-slip tape idea.

The Happijacks are the jack system. I've never used anything else, but this jack setup seems like a PITA. It sometimes just doesn't work (low battery maybe, not sure).

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you had fastguns, I'd also make sure they are tightened correctly. If they aren't tight enough, they won't be as effective. Sounds like you have HappyJack tie downs, but I'd still check the tightening.

I've read that Northern Lite bottoms are especially slick, so maybe that is a contributing factor. Maybe someone with one will respond with what they do as a workaround although I think applying traction tape should help and be easy to apply.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll have to do something for blocking too. I wonder why the dealership would recommend my setup when it doesn't really work for anything but smooth highway driving.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the camper is against the front bulkhead it can move. Torklift hold downs are a very light force trying to control a very heavy load, with virtually no sideways influence. They do almost nothing to keep the camper form moving side-to-side. That is left to friction or blocking.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
If I load to the bumpers I hit the tail lights. I'm not sure loading to the bumpers would help anyway unless they were compressed. A block of wood with a mat to cushion the camper as a stop seems ideal.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
KD4UPL wrote:
Why don't you load all the way to the front? I don't know any reason not to.

Probably doesn't want to smash his truck tail lights. Not all trucks are the same. Even when I had a short bed truck, a 2X6 was needed to keep the lenses safe.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4