cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla delivers there first semi

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tesla semis deliveredhttps://www.foxnews.com/auto/first-tesla-semis-delivered-tech-mystery

Tesla delivered its first production Semi trucks on Thursday night to PepsiCo for use at its California facilities.

The all-electric tractor debuted as a concept in 2017 with an eye on entering production in 2019, but its development and later the coronavirus pandemic caused the date to be pushed off.

The truck arrives with many of the specifications originally promised, however, including a range of 500 miles per charge fully loaded.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk boasted at the event that it is more powerful than a diesel, and that it can accelerate to 60 mph in 5 seconds unladen and in 20 seconds with a full load, but did not reveal its exact specifications."

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
102 REPLIES 102

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
From the few studies I've seen it remains to be seen if there will be a total-cost-of-ownership advantage for fleet owners to switch to battery electric trucks. We'll see what they decide to buy.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Sounds good for a local truck but not for cross country.

I don't know about that. Many, if not most, LTL loads move terminal to terminal. 500 miles will most times be near the 11 hour driver daily limit, so terminals are spaced at about that. So spend up to 10 hours charging while trailer is reloaded. Ready for another day.
For sure would not be good for slip-sheet, or even slip-seat operations. Will need to put chargers in parking spots for irregular route operations, but will happen.

Yah good points. As well charging to 70 percent is 30 minutes and that last 30 percent wouldn’t take more than another 45 minutes. My guess is fleet operators will employ them where it makes sense.

As well not all loads will be at max which will extend range. A load of Doritos will weigh a lot less than a load of concrete curbs. As well not all routes have grades like the grapevine that the test trucks did.

We actually see this in real world with our smaller more aerodynamic trailer being towed by our tesla. (Picture below). Ford lightnings are struggling to get 120 kilometers of range pulling bigger heavier boxy travel trailers. We can tow double that range with an SUV that has a 30 percent smaller battery. I’m not knowledgeable about these things but I would assume that some of this physics carry’s thru to the big boys.

Jmho. Definitely not an expert.

I don't think Pepsi delivers much concrete. They do own Frito Lay, but at least in my area, they all run on CNG, which is pretty clean. The Pepsi trucks are Diesel and they all leave the plant with full loads.
Be interesting to see just how they use them.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Pbutler97 wrote:
"its cargo carrying capacity compared to a diesel semi remains unknown to the public."

That's grrrrrreat!

It remains to be seen what the Tesla tractor's actual tare weight is, but much of what I've read indicates that it should be pretty competitive. The battery pack is said to weigh as much as 11,000 pounds, but a diesel truck's powertrain with 300 gallons of fuel weighs probably 5-6000 pounds. The electric semis get an extra 2000 pounds of allowable weight (can go up to 82K without additional axles) to help offset the heavy batteries. With use of lighter materials in the cab they might be able to get the weight within a couple thousand pounds. We'll see.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

blt2ski
Thermoguy wrote:
I guess Rivian beat them to the street. Rivian Amazon vans have already started deliveries in the Seattle area. Not that these are the same size, but for electric delivery vehicles, it looks like Rivian was first to make deliveries.

I was wondering who was making those vans. I've been seeing them for 6 months or so around Puget sound. Drive by a warehouse by Bremerton airport frequently with them heading out.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
Yes it has always been a day cab to fit 80% of the trucking market.

I am still looking for a report from an end user that actually hauls for a living.

Either way I am glad to see Semi is here and will be in service soon. Once again Tesla does what many said was impossible. The market will determine the value of success.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice rv .I like blue.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

I don't know about that. Many, if not most, LTL loads move terminal to terminal. 500 miles will most times be near the 11 hour driver daily limit, so terminals are spaced at about that. So spend up to 10 hours charging while trailer is reloaded. Ready for another day.
For sure would not be good for slip-sheet, or even slip-seat operations. Will need to put chargers in parking spots for irregular route operations, but will happen.

Yah good points. As well charging to 70 percent is 30 minutes and that last 30 percent wouldn’t take more than another 45 minutes. My guess is fleet operators will employ them where it makes sense.

As well not all loads will be at max which will extend range. A load of Doritos will weigh a lot less than a load of concrete curbs. As well not all routes have grades like the grapevine that the test trucks did.

We actually see this in real world with our smaller more aerodynamic trailer being towed by our tesla. (Picture below). Ford lightnings are struggling to get 120 kilometers of range pulling bigger heavier boxy travel trailers. We can tow double that range with an SUV that has a 30 percent smaller battery. I’m not knowledgeable about these things but I would assume that some of this physics carry’s thru to the big boys.

Jmho. Definitely not an expert.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
"its cargo carrying capacity compared to a diesel semi remains unknown to the public."

That's grrrrrreat!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess Rivian beat them to the street. Rivian Amazon vans have already started deliveries in the Seattle area. Not that these are the same size, but for electric delivery vehicles, it looks like Rivian was first to make deliveries.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Impressive numbers, if they hold true.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s about time!!