cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drove some Rams over the weekend

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 1500 with 5.7L & 3.92, 2015 2500 with 6.4 & 4.10, and a 2012 Longhorn 2500 with the cummins. ALL of them have very impressive gittyup. The 6.4 was the most entertaining.

I'm amazed at the difference from my old '97 F150. They all rode better, accelerated smoother, and were infinitely quieter while driving. The 1500s were the most refined of the bunch. Aside from the size and driving perspective, they were just like driving a car. Firm, controlled, quiet ride with no squirreliness. I found myself doing over 80 as I merged on the interstate without even trying. What an awesome surprise!

I question if the bucket seats have any real advantage over the bench seats. The fold down center section in the bench is so versatile! The shift knob on the dash definitely takes some getting used to.

Very good chance I'll find myself behind the wheel of one of these soon! Off to the Ford/GM dealers next, but I don't think they'll come close on price.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
31 REPLIES 31

BiggD
Explorer
Explorer
We had a '12 1500 Outdoorsman with the 5.7L and 3.92's. We loved it but soon found out that we were over our limits while towing so off to the dealer we went.

Sat down and ordered the '15 2500 Mega Cab 6.4L exactly how we wanted it and could not be happier. This thing is a beast, rides a little rough but you get used to it. It also tows like a dream!

TV: 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 6.4L Equalizer 14k
TT: 2016 Heartland Prowler 32BHS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Vanished wrote:
If you like the gitty up - try a 6.2l GM half ton.. 🙂 420 HP/460lb-ft... I've been very impressed towing my 6k TT... Better MPG's than the Hemi and almost as much torque on the hills as my old 24V 5.9l Cummins..
I do like that one, but they aren't on the lots around here. I understand they're special order. And of course, so far, I can't find a competitive Ford or GM product with a competitive price.

On edit, I'm noticing some available now. Guess I should pay better attention. However, they are still pretty pricy compared to the Rams. Guess I'll have to see how well I can dicker.
2015 Ram 1500

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
deleted - misread
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the gitty up - try a 6.2l GM half ton.. 🙂 420 HP/460lb-ft... I've been very impressed towing my 6k TT... Better MPG's than the Hemi and almost as much torque on the hills as my old 24V 5.9l Cummins..
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
robertbenita wrote:
Great trucks! I had a 1998 3/4 and my father just got a 2015 mega cab, I think it's called. Every bell or whistle, except it has "plastic" wheel inserts. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not gotten down to look and touch myself. Plastic...ugh!

Noticed this myself the other day on the 20s on a local lot. So tacky. Glad I only have SLT trim with the solid alu 18s.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
The shift knob on the dash definitely takes some getting used to.

I just turned in a rental 2015 Chrysler 200 with the round shift dial mounted on the console. I drove the car for a week. I thought the round shifter dial was really strange for the first day. But, by the second day, I had adjusted to it.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Whatchaupto
Explorer
Explorer
Billy, in my experience, if you want to add the tow mirrors later down the road, your truck will not have the required 'door modules' that operate the puddle lamps and turn signals mounted on the tow mirrors. On my '12, I added the OEM tow mirrors, then visited the dealer to have the puddle lamps and turn signals activated. I was told this could not be done because the truck did not come factory equipped with tow mirrors and correct door modules. The power mirror adjustment works correct in the down position and in the tow position. I assume the heat function will work also. My advice: if you THINK you may want tow mirrors, get them 'as built' on the truck. Don
'12 Ram 2500 6.7L Reg Cab
'17 Northwood 246RKS
'73 Honda CT90
'11 Polaris RZR
'03 Jeep Wrangler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
If you think the Ram has a refined interior, wait until you try the GMs.
I traded a 2010 Ram Laramie (leather, new body style0 for a 2015 Chev Silverado LTZ. In my opinion the Ram had the better interior hands down. More comfortable seats, more storage, adjustable rear heat and A/C vents, better dash layout, more features on the radio/sound system. The truck itself wasn't so great but the interior was nicer.

B.O.

If you would have bought a 2013 or newer RAM with an Aisin tranny then everything would have been better than the Silverado. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
SouthpawHD wrote:
If you think the Ram has a refined interior, wait until you try the GMs.
I traded a 2010 Ram Laramie (leather, new body style0 for a 2015 Chev Silverado LTZ. In my opinion the Ram had the better interior hands down. More comfortable seats, more storage, adjustable rear heat and A/C vents, better dash layout, more features on the radio/sound system. The truck itself wasn't so great but the interior was nicer.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Great trucks! I had a 1998 3/4 and my father just got a 2015 mega cab, I think it's called. Every bell or whistle, except it has "plastic" wheel inserts. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not gotten down to look and touch myself. Plastic...ugh!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That is VERY frustrating. I've found a bunch of trucks that would be perfect, except they're missing this feature or that feature. At least the mirrors appear to be fairly easy to remedy later if I end up settling for something off the lot.

Drives me crazy that I can't find a 1500 with all the features I want, there's always one thing missing. Why would they add the tow mirrors and brake controller, then leave a 3.21 differential in it? Why do they all come with sun roofs, but rarely with 32 gal fuel tanks?
2015 Ram 1500

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
They are fine trucks. It may have changed since 2012 or maybe it's just the way the dealer ordered mine, but look out for those chrome mirrors. I had to go after market to get the flip up tow extension. Sickening after three days of ownership.

:h..look out for those chrome mirrors. I had to go after market to get the flip up tow extension.

My 2012 dually, as well as dually in my sig have the chrome flip up towing mirrors and they work great....Did your truck NOT come with flip up mirrors? (chrome or black), I've seen both and they both flip up to be used as towing mirrors....

On edit: I didn't see your answer at the bottom of the second page...sorry.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg, it was just something for him the be aware of. Like I said, maybe it was just the way the dealer specked it out on the order form. Hopefully by now they don't even offer the mirror that won't flip up.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
They are fine trucks. It may have changed since 2012 or maybe it's just the way the dealer ordered mine, but look out for those chrome mirrors. I had to go after market to get the flip up tow extension. Sickening after three days of ownership.

Not sure what you mean here. The mirrors pictured are the tow mirrors and on the HD trucks they are power folding in the upper trim levels. You still have to tip them up but they power fold back to the door.

For 2016 or 17 I heard Ram is doing away with those and going with a tow mirror like Ford and GM have.

Here is a pic of the 2015 tow mirrors on my truck.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.