cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best mid-size truck for 2019? Honda!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 mid-sized test

There is a lot to like about each one but also a lot to not like. None of them make me want to trade in my 2008 Ranger for running errands around town. A big chunk of that is the price of these trucks.
29 REPLIES 29

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

My reported fuel economy is spot on accurate. If you don't believe it {feel free BTW} maybe you should learn how to drive efficiently... it works.
LMAO!

:R

Sorry, but we put very little faith in computer mileage here for a reason. All my vehicles even my current Ram and BMW are off by 1-3 mpg. One fill up they are off by 3, the next they may be off by 1.5 mpg. It gets even worse when recording multiple trips on a trip computer.

And according to the Honda Ridgeline owners club forum link below, your truck is no different.

Trip computer accuracy
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Wow, you are getting amazing mileage out of yours considering the average real world combined average on Fuelly.com for 2017-2019 Ridgelines is 20.4 mpg. It is almost unbelievable. 😉

It's almost like anecdotal reports of extremely good fuel economy aren't accurate or something. Weird.

Yeah, and we all know how well the computers readouts are in these trucks. I wish I got what it says instead of the actual hand calculated numbers that is usually 3 mpg less. The only time mine is accurate is on A to B trips with little to know starts and stops. However, the more starts and stops I do, the more inaccurate it gets.

Then there is instant readout while driving down the highway. According to mine, my 6.7L diesel is getting 25-28 mpg if I do 65 mph which we all know is BS.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting read. While they don't fit the needs of many on this board, they do exceed the needs of the vast majority of buyers. And they do it in a size that is much easier to handle, and allows you to own one and park in downtown parking garages. I get it.

Personally, I'd never consider the Honda. And after the terrible experience my buddy has had with his Colorado Duramax, the GM would be out. I do like the looks of the Ranger, but I'm a Jeep / MOPAR guy at heart, so that is likely where I would spend my $$ if I was in the market.

Interesting aside, they followed Ford's "suggestion" and tested using Premium Fuel.......
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

My reported fuel economy is spot on accurate. If you don't believe it {feel free BTW} maybe you should learn how to drive efficiently... it works.

Driving habits can make a huge difference in fuel mileage. I have a regular run that I have made frequently over the last ten years. If I drive with Max fuel economy in mind I have gotten 20.7mpg over the 140 mile trip. If I drive the same route with getting there as quickly as I can I shave 5-10 minutes off of my travel time and my fuel mileage drops to 16mpg.

I have poked around at ecomodder.com and learned a few things to improve my driving style.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Wow, you are getting amazing mileage out of yours considering the average real world combined average on Fuelly.com for 2017-2019 Ridgelines is 20.4 mpg. It is almost unbelievable. 😉

It's almost like anecdotal reports of extremely good fuel economy aren't accurate or something. Weird.

LMAO!

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
For comparison.

I towed my 13k# trailer, with my Dodge, over 5000 miles on a Mexico trip. I averaged 15.7 mpg for the trip.

I think that I will keep the Dodge. I pulled the same trailer with my Chevy 2500 6.0 gas on a 700 mile trip and averaged less than 9 mpg.

Anyone want to buy a Chevy 2500?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, no. Thanks. We’ll keep our Ford Ranger. It has been averaging over 24mpg, and have experienced none of what the author of that article talks about with problems.

Plus, it’s a real truck, and is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned, including a 911 turbo Porsche, and a 500 series Mercedes convertible
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting read no doubt. Car and Driver named the Ridgeline the Mid Size truck of the year for 2017, 18 and 19. While technically the Ridgeline is the least amount of "Truck" of the four it is no slouch when it comes to performing truck functions.

I bought my 2019 Ridgeline about 6 weeks and 3,000 miles ago and have been nothing but delighted. This is probably due to the fact that I rarely "need" a truck but it sure is nice to have one available. I just returned from a 1,455 mile trip from Tucson to Angel Fire NM and back towing a 10' cargo trailer {14' overall} hauling my Polaris Rzr {Rzr and Trailer weighed in at 2,580#} and I got 16.1 mpg cruising at 65.

That trip involved a lot of serious mountains, often over 9 and even 10K' and at no time did the Honda lack power - up and over Bobcat Pass at 9,820' towing the Rzr with 4 adults it maintained the speed limit easily.

Since most of the time I don't need a truck the ride and handling of the Ridgeline which is a lot more like a Honda Accord is a great feature. I am getting 24+ around town and 26 - 28 on the interstates {not towing obviously}.

The fit and finish of Honda is excellent and I skipped all of the nanny nonsense of lane deviation and auto Cruise control/braking. The hidden 7.3 cubic foot trunk located under the rear of the bed is one of the most innovative features I have ever come across in any truck. To the "it's not real truck" crowd I have to point out that my Ridgeline RTL has 1,477# of payload, all wheel drive and 18" wheels with the largest most functional bed of any of the others in this comparison.

No I don't think the Honda is the truck for a lot of folks but if your vehicular needs are more car/SUV vs pure truck work take a look at the Ridgeline as there is a lot to like in this unique one of a kind vehicle. Nicely equipped my RTL went out the door for $39,081.

:C

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
The Jeep Gladiator Overland is $55k? I paid less then that out the door for my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD. I would hate to see how much the Rubicon version costs. Probably another $5k on top of that.

I don't know if the prices in that article are sticker or real world. I do think the midsize truck price point kills them for a lot of people, though, because unless you specifically need something smaller for parking or urban use or want that niche of the off-road capability you get with the Gladiator, most people are going to gravitate towards fullsize trucks given the similar price points. The fact is for most of us the extra size with a fullsize is a net positive feature.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
librty02 wrote:
And the only one that doesn't have a full frame either? Correct? it is still all unibody isn't it? So in my mind a SUV with a bed kinda like the old el caminos....but wait didn't they have a full frame?

I had a '72 Newport unibody and a '70 Impala body on frame. The Newport was by far the sturdier vehicle and much preferred for trailer towing.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
The Jeep Gladiator Overland is $55k? I paid less then that out the door for my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD. I would hate to see how much the Rubicon version costs. Probably another $5k on top of that.

The ones at my local dealer are over $61k.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
And the only one that doesn't have a full frame either? Correct? it is still all unibody isn't it? So in my mind a SUV with a bed kinda like the old el caminos....but wait didn't they have a full frame?
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD