Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best Truck for a Host Mammouth

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We are visit tomorrow a Host Mammouth and now I asked me whitch is the best Truck for the Camper?
Silverado 3500 , ford f 350, gmc or Ram 3500 dualy Crew Cab

I think not older than 2012 . Can you explain me advantages and disadvantages of each truck. Who has the highest axle load?
Thanks, i Hope you understand me, my English is not so good. We are in Virginia and want to start a long journey through Nord Amerika
Stefan
38 REPLIES 38

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats and good luck with the truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday we bought a Host Mammouth ???? it will be ready in one and a half week. Today I see a Siverado from a private owner. I hope it will be good.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike/kellie wrote:
With a little polish (did you know this is the only word that changes definition when capitalized?)the sentence above could easily be interpreted differently? .

Sure it is. "Polish" is also a word that is read differently depends if it starts with upper, or lower case letter.
I appreciate your lecture 😉 as trying to be funny in my 3rd language sure not always come the best way.
To my defense I did not use even singe cent of taxpayers money for my English education and guess where I am forced to polish my English skills ? . ...
try internet forum :R
Grit dog made it good, I have no problem with it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Hey Kayteg, it’s all good. Please consider my sarcasm as humor. It’s in good spirit and I was just busting your chops a bit regarding your comments about how Europeans are more calculated in their purchases.

To the OP, if not searching for the “best” deal, time is short if you’re really on a 2 week clock for departure. Go get you a dually today, seriously they are all equally as capable and get some tie downs on it and go grab the camper. Only then once you have the 2 together will you be able to accurately figure out what you want/need to outfit it with for suspension and other things.
On the upside, gas powered duallies are rare unless you’re shopping the 2wd and or striped down work trucks. Vast majority are diesel so that’s a win in my book!

At the same time, it does not need to be “ideal” when you hit the road, presuming you have time on your trip. Since it sounds like you would not be doing the modifications or mechanic work your self, you can get shops anywhere to add some air bags or whatever you need as you decide you need it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keytag1 wrote:
If my experience how I got perfect truck is a lecture to you, I think you have another problem.

Maybe it's unfortunate in today's re-invention of language to incorporate abbreviations (r u ok) as words, the use of emojies and hashtags, that myself and possibly others cringe when statements like this are made. With a little polish (did you know this is the only word that changes definition when capitalized?)the sentence above could easily be interpreted differently?

" Hey Grit Dog, this was my first opportunity to special order a truck solely for the use of hauling my truck camper and use around the house. I was able to determine the best options that are important to me and price out the perfect truck for my needs"

I can't help but see a skit from SNL reading some of your statements.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Anyone find it ironic that our resident European, guessing Eastern, is lecturing the virtues of how Europeans are such careful, calculated and miserly shoppers in a thread where a European dude (guessing by the grammar and spelling) is trying to impulse buy a camper and a truck?

I think you've got it all wrong.
The OP is not buying truck on impulse, but just becouse he has limited time for his vacations and being new in this country - he has lot of homework to do.
And he is doing it.
If my experience how I got perfect truck is a lecture to you, I think you have another problem.
Coming to diesel/gasoline choice - diesel in most of European countries is way cheaper than gasoline, so each European want a diesel in everything. That becomes mentality and even sometimes gasoline option might be valid, mentality can prevail.

Bedlam
My suggestion is to walk into the fleet/commercial side of a dealership and do a locator on new Ford F350 or F450 DRW and the same for a Ram 3500 DRW. You will probably find a better match in inventory on the Ford side but better pricing on the Ram side. As soon as you locate the vehicle you want to purchase and arrange delivery, start making appointments for ordering and installation of the truck frame tie downs that will anchor the camper using spring loaded turnbuckles. Between turnbuckles and tie downs, this cost is close to $1500 in parts plus the labor. You will also need a rubber bed mat to keep the camper from sliding - Since it does not sound like you will towing, you do not need a special receiver hitch, extension or extra wiring plug on your truck.

As I posted earlier, you do not need a diesel to carry the camper. Cab size is up to you and can be standard, extended or crew based on what you wish to carry in the truck and how many people are traveling. Do not get the MegaCab short bed DRW from Ram since this will be too short for the Host Mammoth you want to carry. The rest of the truck choices in DRW are all long bed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Anyone find it ironic that our resident European, guessing Eastern, is lecturing the virtues of how Europeans are such careful, calculated and miserly shoppers in a thread where a European dude (guessing by the grammar and spelling) is trying to impulse buy a camper and a truck?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
You will need frame mounted tie down points and possibly some suspension help for any truck you purchase (unless it already set up for a truck camper). This will cut into the time you buy a truck and get these items installed. . . .

^ - this is very important.
If you only have two weeks then it is not enough time for your plan!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Bedlam
You will need frame mounted tie down points and possibly some suspension help for any truck you purchase (unless it already set up for a truck camper). This will cut into the time you buy a truck and get these items installed. The GM trucks are the most comfortable but rated for lowest payload. The Ram trucks are typically less expensive than Ford or GM and have a good payload. Unless you are towing a heavy trailer, you do not need a diesel truck. You may find a gasoline engine powered truck for a better price that is in better or newer shape.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buying several years old truck in a hurry brings pretty high risk, but I understand you have cash in hand?
When you find something you'd accept, offer few thousands less and show them stack of green bills.
Work around the World the same.

schubi
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that the prices at the moment very high. We want to start out tour in 2 weeks , so we must buy something.
I have 2-3 trucks in this price range, most of them silverados, I like the Silverado.
I don’t think that European are the better buyer here, it isn’t easy for us to understand the Prozess of negotiations, There are a lot of difference opposite Germany

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTLance wrote:
Duramax before all the smog **** (2007 LBZ) is the best there is.

2006 LBZ, best Duramax. 2007 close second, you just have to do a delete on it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
It's good that we have a european here to help educate us wasteful ignorant Americans.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.