cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There must be a way to do this with a.....2017 Silverado

robertjp
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to hook up my 4 flat boat trailer plug AND my wire from the camper 7 way to the truck. The truck has a plug for both but once you plug either one in, there is not enough room with the spring door to get the other one in. Is there some kind of work around here so I can use both going down the road? Thank you. Bob

P.S I have a pic but is there no way to post it without it already being on the web somewhere?
37 REPLIES 37

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had an in bed plug that is used for the camper, leaving the bumper plug for trailers.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
Just remove the spring door
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my AF 990 the dealer made up the harness and wired the flat 4 right off the 7 way that plugs into the truck at the bumper.

robertjp
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Poor design, because one person in a million has a weird corner case where they need both connections at once?

So only 1 in a million pull a boat with a truck camper?? Seriously?

Bedlam
If the covers hinged from the outside, this would not be a problem. They saved on one hinge pin by hinging both covers off the same pin between the two connectors.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Poor design, because one person in a million has a weird corner case where they need both connections at once?

If they give you both plugs but you can't use both at the same time, yes. Poor design.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything here look like it might help?
plug adapters on etrailer
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Push the hinge pin out from the connector cover so you have access to both connectors at the same time.

This is exactly what I did on my F-350. I re- installed the hinge pin and covers when not towing. Poor design!
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
robertjp wrote:
Mortimer I think this would work. What was Chevy thinking??Do they think nobody pulls a boat with a truck camper? They went to the trouble of installing both plugs but cant use both at same time.

Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Something like this might work

They were thinking people would connect their camper to the camper wiring near the front of the box and plug trailers into the trailer plug. They put both to eliminate the need for an adapter.

Don't most camper haulers install a recepatcle in the front side of the box?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
newman fulltimer wrote:
why would you plug both in at once:h

Please re read the original post...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
There is a coiled up wiring harness on the frame just behind the cab on GM trucks to install in the box of the truck for fifth wheel and truck campers. Put that into the box and hook up a 7 pole female plug to plug the camper into, and then the plug on the bumper is good to go for your boat.
On my 2014 I just popped out the plastic cap that GM put on the front wall and fed the wires through put the receptacle on the end of the wires because I couldn't bring myself to drilling a big hole in the side of the box to mount the plug into.
Brian
2014 only has 7 pole plug at bumper.

I did the same thing on mine.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

Bedlam
I use a 3-way pigtail:

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/towing/superhitch-wire-harnesses

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

robertjp
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer I think this would work. What was Chevy thinking??Do they think nobody pulls a boat with a truck camper? They went to the trouble of installing both plugs but cant use both at same time.

Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Something like this might work

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
There is a coiled up wiring harness on the frame just behind the cab on GM trucks to install in the box of the truck for fifth wheel and truck campers. Put that into the box and hook up a 7 pole female plug to plug the camper into, and then the plug on the bumper is good to go for your boat.
On my 2014 I just popped out the plastic cap that GM put on the front wall and fed the wires through put the receptacle on the end of the wires because I couldn't bring myself to drilling a big hole in the side of the box to mount the plug into.
Brian
2014 only has 7 pole plug at bumper.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4