cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Brake Light?

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
The third - upper - brake light on my Ford pickup is completely blocked by a truck camper. I don't think I've ever seen a truck camper that has one. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing a trailer that has one, either.

What's up with that?

That third brake light is such an obviously good idea that I can't believe they don't come as standard.

I do see them with 5 lights across the top - two at the outer corners and three clustered together in the center - and I think I remember reading something about DOT required lights on certain widths of truck bodies and trailers. Apparently DOT doesn't require the upper brake light.

Has anyone here added an aftermarket third brake light to their camper? How hard would it be to do? If I do it, am I going to see flashing red lights in my mirrors?
25 REPLIES 25

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Nice in SoCal too, Tx.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Eh...if you don't have LED tail lights switch to them and call it done.
Bad weather up there in NY?
I'm taking a break from trimming the hedge, edging, and mowing. No snakes spotted.
Diesel $2.68 in 77575
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
People dont see school busses and fire engines. Some extra lights surely wont hurt and can only help.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The shell I purchased has a third brake light and I added two additional running/brake lights (led strip lights) to the TT. Easy. eTrailer sells lots of differenct types.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Worried about getting rear ended without a high mount brake light, and worried about getting pulled over by the cops for having a high mount brake light?
Yup, I’m seeing the logic here....no, actually I’m not.

The OP's name is Optimistic Paranoid. Fitting?

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be better off installing those really large highly reflective chevron stickers on the back of your camper,,you know like on the back of fire trucks and ambulances! May not be cheaper,,but no one at the camp site would complain about that extra light?

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are carrying a house on your back and you are worried someone will miss a brake light? If they don't see the two of them on the camper then one more hidden in all the other things on the back won't help.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Worried about getting rear ended without a high mount brake light, and worried about getting pulled over by the cops for having a high mount brake light?
Yup, I’m seeing the logic here....no, actually I’m not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or if you plug your camper into the 7 prong trailer cord, use the AUX wire. could work on a trailer too.
Long before the third brake-light was common, I was putting them on dune buggies. But I would put a flasher on them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Standard trailer wiring harness does not include a wire for a center light so there is no reason a trailer manufacturer would install that light. To add one you would need to tap into the wire that goes to your center light and run a new wire to that light, whether on a TC or to a trailer.

Or install a converter as noted above.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you have access to both tail lights, you can use a converter to add one!
Etrailer sells them (been thinking about adding one to my TT).