Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new (used) TV: GM vs Toyota

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit of background:

This spring we upgraded our trailer from a 16' Scotty to a 29' Shasta. My tow vehicle is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L. Never had a towing issue with the Scotty paired with the Sequoia. However, the Shasta and Sequoia don't seem to get along too well! I've been trying to get a handle on the squirliness the Sequoia experiences when getting passed by a semi, box truck, or a plastic bag. I'm running a new Blue Ox WDH on it. After many suggestions that I've tried, I've come to the conclusion that the Sequoia's wheel base is just too short (118.2") for the 29' Shasta.

We got pre-approval from our credit union for a loan today and we're keeping it at $17K to borrow for an upgraded tow vehicle. I'm going back to a pick-up, and it'll be a crew cab, since we have two grandsons still in car seats that will camp with us from time to time. Per our credit union, they'll only go back as far as a 2005 and as high as 125K miles. I love my Sequoia dearly, but if I'm spending this kind of $$, one of the trucks I'm going to look at is a 2007+ Tundra Crewmax. With the upgraded 5.7L and tow capacity, I'd much rather overkill it than be marginal with a pre-2007 Tundra. We camp rather light, and "if" we have any water onboard the Shasta, as well as other stuff, we'd be looking at a trailer weight in the 5200lbs range TOPS. I've recently weighed the tongue and it checks in at about 640lbs.

My other choice would be a Silverado/Sierra of the same 2007+ era, crewcab with a 5.3L. Tow capacities of the GM vs Tundra are around 7500 vs 10,000 from what I can tell, and payload is in the 1600 lbs range for either.

So, based on these TWO choices only, any opinions on what's my best bet? Is one a no brainer compared to the other? Opinions always appreciated!
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com
31 REPLIES 31

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
'07 Crew Max owner here. Either will tow the TT just fine. The 5.7 Tundra has more power and torque and will tow better with its 4.30 rear end and 6 speed trans. I believe the Chev went to the 6 speed in '09. The Chevy will get better gas mileage.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Any 1/2 ton should tow a 4400lb dry weight TT. Probably 5400lbs loaded. It's really hard to get much more than 1000-1200lbs in a TT since the storage is limited. Not like a 5th wheel that has a huge basement for storage.
Just make sure the payload rating gives you enough room for items in the trucks bed as well as passengers plus the TT's TW.

A 5400lb TT should have a TW of apr 675lbs. Add bed stuff and people. That's your payload. Look on the trucks door/jamb for the payload sticker and see if you fits in the weights. It's not rocket science.

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Don't know what your Shasta's GVWR is, but even with my Sierra having a 1607 payload, I'd be leaning toward a 2500 series PU. I think either the Toyo or the 1/2 ton GM will have the power to tow it, just not the suspension.

Forgot to include in my original note. GVWR for the Shasta is 7500lbs, dry weight is 4400lbs, leaving me more CCC than I'll ever need.
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A 5.7 Toyota vs a 5.3 GM . My wife has a '06 5.3/4L60E...... so I would go with the 5.7 Toyota for towing duties.

Also consider this;
GM made a 1500HD crew cab in the '00-'06 era. This truck has the 6.0 engine with the bigger 4L80 E tranny 8600 GVWR with a 6000 RAWR with 16" E tires and wheels. It has around 3000 lb payload and 10k+ lb tow ratings.

Also look at the '00 era 1500 Dodge Mega Cabs 5.7 Hemi with a 8510 GVWR and 6000 RAWR with 16" E tires and 8 lug wheels.

And of course Ford has a F150HD 8200 GVWR with 4800 RAWR and 16" E tires and wheels in the year models you mention.

These trucks are much heavier duty than your usual 6500-7200 GVWR standard duty 1500 trucks but don't fit in with the full 9000-10000 GVWR 3/4 ton HD truck specs either.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what your Shasta's GVWR is, but even with my Sierra having a 1607 payload, I'd be leaning toward a 2500 series PU. I think either the Toyo or the 1/2 ton GM will have the power to tow it, just not the suspension.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also go with a 6 speed. Crew Max would also be my choice. Those things are very comfy for back seat passengers. 5.7 crew max with some elephant ear towing mirrors and a good WD hitch and you should be good to go. Oh, I don't think an integrated brake controller is available on the Tundra so be prepared to go with a good aftermarket brake controller such as the Prodigy P2 or P3.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
Pat in Speedway

Sent you a PM

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Tundra payload 5.7 short bed Crewmax was 1375 lbs.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Toyotas as well but my brothers last Tundra crew max had a payload of 1100 lbs....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about Tundra's but everybody always complains about the payload ratings. Are the axle ratings also low?

For a 5200 lb trailer I'd think any half ton would be suitable. A 3/4 ton would be better but I hardly think it's necessary with the weight you're towing - especially in Indiana.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the Tundra payload. Apparently the sites I've been researching those specs aren't the most reliable. I may need to see about upping our budget and try to get a 3/4 ton and sleep happy.
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through all this and really the Chev/GM is your better bet.

Check the payload on those Toyota's!!!!

A crew cab will have a payload of approximately 1200 lbs or less.

Your limitations are not what they can tow but what they can have as a payload.

After adding hitch and tongue weight you will likely be able to add little else before you reach your max gvwr or axle weight.

I love Toyota's and have driven them exclusively until just a few months ago (since 1988). I would love to get one of the new Tundra's but they just run out of payload before they run out of power and towing capacity....
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW ... my last truck was an '09 Silverado, Crew Cab, 5.3L, tow package so it had the transmission cooler, etc. With 5th wheel hitch in bed, wife, dog and full tank of fuel, I had 1,370 lbs of cargo capacity (measured at rear axle) to work with. Or a more conservative approach, considering the vehicle's GVWR, I only had 1,020 lbs of cargo capacity!

Happy, that for now, with the TV I moved to ... I don't have to play those numbers games.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard/seen a Crewmax with 1600 pounds of payload. Please verify that on the tire and loading sticker as you test drive and it is enough for your needs.

I highly recommend something with 6-spd trans. That means 2007+ Tundra, 2009+ GM and Ford. Power won't be a problem for either one. Since you are on a more limited budget, have you considered full sized vans? Their used values are roughly half what a similar pickup/SUV is. A 2010+ GM 6.0L/6-spd would do great and offer a lot of interior space too.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger TV is always better, that's why 3/4 T are usually good choices...more weight from trailer on tow vehicle is usually preferable to reduce swaying in tag or chucking in 5 er....good luck with towing.....