Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new (used) TV: GM vs Toyota

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit of background:

This spring we upgraded our trailer from a 16' Scotty to a 29' Shasta. My tow vehicle is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4.7L. Never had a towing issue with the Scotty paired with the Sequoia. However, the Shasta and Sequoia don't seem to get along too well! I've been trying to get a handle on the squirliness the Sequoia experiences when getting passed by a semi, box truck, or a plastic bag. I'm running a new Blue Ox WDH on it. After many suggestions that I've tried, I've come to the conclusion that the Sequoia's wheel base is just too short (118.2") for the 29' Shasta.

We got pre-approval from our credit union for a loan today and we're keeping it at $17K to borrow for an upgraded tow vehicle. I'm going back to a pick-up, and it'll be a crew cab, since we have two grandsons still in car seats that will camp with us from time to time. Per our credit union, they'll only go back as far as a 2005 and as high as 125K miles. I love my Sequoia dearly, but if I'm spending this kind of $$, one of the trucks I'm going to look at is a 2007+ Tundra Crewmax. With the upgraded 5.7L and tow capacity, I'd much rather overkill it than be marginal with a pre-2007 Tundra. We camp rather light, and "if" we have any water onboard the Shasta, as well as other stuff, we'd be looking at a trailer weight in the 5200lbs range TOPS. I've recently weighed the tongue and it checks in at about 640lbs.

My other choice would be a Silverado/Sierra of the same 2007+ era, crewcab with a 5.3L. Tow capacities of the GM vs Tundra are around 7500 vs 10,000 from what I can tell, and payload is in the 1600 lbs range for either.

So, based on these TWO choices only, any opinions on what's my best bet? Is one a no brainer compared to the other? Opinions always appreciated!
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com
31 REPLIES 31

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pat in Speedway wrote:
If this doesn't fix things, I'm selling both and buying a tent!

Looks like a nice rig you got there! I'm sure it will feel much better going from a shorter wheelbase SUV to a longer wheelbase 3/4 ton truck. I would encourage you to really study your WDH setup guide and make sure it is set up exactly right. I think a lot of people have improperly set up WDH's on their half ton trucks and feel a lot discomfort and simply mask the improper setup with a heavier truck that is still improperly set up.

That heavier truck with a longer wheelbase will make a night and day difference. Having your WDH dialed in correctly will only add the icing to the cake. God forbid you ever get into an emergency situation towing that rig, the properly set up WDH could make the difference.

Again, congrats on the upgrade! Go put some miles on those tires and CAMP!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice looking truck; congratulations! I think you will be quite surprised how much of an upgrade you have made when you tow next :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Pat,

Congrats on the new tow beast!

Looks great!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Deal is done! We're now the owners of a 2009 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD. 6.0L V8 with the 6 speed transmission. It's got the 3.73 gear, so my tow capacity drops down to 9900 lbs, but still that's twice as much as I'll need for the Shasta. Payload is in the 3K lbs range, so no worries there either. Going to put my Blue Ox on in the morning and take it for a little interstate spin to see how it does with semis compared to the Sequoia. If this doesn't fix things, I'm selling both and buying a tent!
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Pat,

Looks great!!! Keep us posted if you decide to give it a new home!!!

Only thing I would suggest is to keep an eye the hitch if it is the factory round tube style. Depending on the tongue weight and wd bar adjustment, the round tube hitch can twist (or "wind up") when the wd bars are "latched up".

Otherwise, can't go wrong with that truck and driveline combo!

Lots of reading over on GM-Trucks.com as well.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice looking truck, and more capable than both the 1/2 tons you were considering and room to grow in the future.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 6.0L/3.73 in a 2011 Suburban. It replaced a minivan as our main family vehicle and my wife's daily driver. We are up to 62k trouble free miles in under 4 years, with about 10k towing our TT. The engine/trans are very reliable and should be good for 300k+ miles with regular fluid changes.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Speedway! Great place.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Tonight I looked at a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD at a local dealer. Pretty impressed! It's got 121K miles and is in really good shape. Power was really good and after a few spirited accelerations, I have no doubt it would handle my Shasta with ease, even with the 3.73 gears it has. Now I'm doing a little more research on any common nuisances the 2500HD's might have. If all looks good, I may just be making an offer in the next day or so.

Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I think a 2500/1500HD or 2500HD would be your best bet with 6.0 Chev. 4 speed will pull just fine but you won't get as good of mileage when you aren't towing. Count on 7 mpg when you are.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

astraelraen
Explorer
Explorer
If this tow vehicle is a daily driver too I would get the Chevy, look for one with the 6 speed, 2009+ model years I believe. You will get far better gas mileage unloaded and the 5.3l and six speed transmission will be sufficient for that weight trailer.
2013 F150 Crewcab Ecoboost Max Tow
3.73 gears 157" wheelbase

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pat in Speedway wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
'07 Crew Max owner here. Either will tow the TT just fine. The 5.7 Tundra has more power and torque and will tow better with its 4.30 rear end and 6 speed trans. I believe the Chev went to the 6 speed in '09. The Chevy will get better gas mileage.

Thanks for the info Ron. Question: Since you've got a trailer in the ballpark of my Shasta, if not a little bigger, how does it handle on the interstate? I'm sure some wiggle is expected, but is it anything to where you feel it's borderline dangerous?

I pull about 8,000 lbs, 35 ft. Handles great on the interstate, but I have the V-nose Windjammer by Forest River, which we love. I went from towing about 6,500 lbs and feel the Windjammer tows better. Don't have any wiggle with the Equilizer brand hitch.

BTW, going from your first generation Sequoia with the 4.7 to a second generation Tundra with the 5.7 will be like night and day in terms of power.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Pat_in_Speedway
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
'07 Crew Max owner here. Either will tow the TT just fine. The 5.7 Tundra has more power and torque and will tow better with its 4.30 rear end and 6 speed trans. I believe the Chev went to the 6 speed in '09. The Chevy will get better gas mileage.

Thanks for the info Ron. Question: Since you've got a trailer in the ballpark of my Shasta, if not a little bigger, how does it handle on the interstate? I'm sure some wiggle is expected, but is it anything to where you feel it's borderline dangerous?
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
For the record, from the factory specs for my 2008 Tundra:

"Payload" for the 5.7L CrewMAx 4X2 (SR5/Limited)...1,605/1,585 lbs
4X4 (SR5/Limited)...1,515/1,495 lbs.

"Towing capacity" 5.7L CrewMAx 4X2...10,400
4X4...10,100 (these are pre-J2807 SAE tow capacity ratings, which lowered most by approx. 300-500 lbs.)

***EDIT*** Here's the link to the 2007 Tundra pdf specs from Toyota
HERE