cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tint Vs Perforated Vinyl

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
So i have been considering these 2 options, i know a lot of people have used tint, so i am looking moreso on the side of perforated vinyl information, has anybody used it? maybe even use both? looking for something to help with heat obviously, but at the same time increase privacy, and i think a color matched perf vinyl would look very nice on the TT.
13 REPLIES 13

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
yeah i understand it on vehicles, which is fine, i just was unsure about trailers because they use residential house glass and apparently it's prone to breaking if too much heat is retained, which is why when tinting the trailer you need to use residential tint, not automotive tint.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
I had the perforated vinyl on side windows of a work van once, whenever the window was wet I couldn't see out of it.

That's the biggest drawback. We actually print/sell perforated vinyl and that is the biggest problem with it. Only way to avoid this is to have it printed, and then you have it laminated. The lamination has a UV coating that protects the vinyl, plus water doesn't pool in the perfs like GWolfe mentions.

It comes in rolls and is white. It is installed just like window tint, but goes on the outside of the window. I've not heard of any issues with heat on the windows.

I actually used some on my bedroom windows because I hated the light coming through at our favorite campground. I got some scrap from work (white) and then sprayed it lightly with black spraypaint.

It served it's purpose, but I was planning on going with some of the ceramic tint for both heat rejection and looks.

Higher end fifth wheels use the perf vinyl on their windows. It is a good look.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I had the perforated vinyl on side windows of a work van once, whenever the window was wet I couldn't see out of it.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Heat gain must not be a big issue. I see a lot of perforated vinyl decals on the rear window of pickups. Never known of a rear window breaking because of the decal.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, i was kinda thinking both, i just dont know if it would cause issues with heat on the glass, i know residential windows can break if exposed to too much heat.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then go with vinyl knowing it's a wear and tear item that will need replacement. Or tint, without the look you want, knowing it's done forever.

Either way, sounds like you're gonna want window coverings on the inside

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah i know tint cant expect privacy at night either, that's why i was undecided, they both seem to have similar pros and cons, but i would prefer the perf vinyl look.

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
Tint is designed to reflect heat, so my guess would be that it might have some effect on the vinyl. And tint will also allow people to see in at night if you have lights on inside.

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, i figured that, any opinions on both? i would liek the look of the perf, but the privacy of the reflective tint

Not sure if it'd trap heat between or anything and cause issues?

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
The perforated is great during the day, you can see out but people cant see in. Though at night its like its not even there, you can see everything inside.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Con;
You still need curtains or blinds because people can see in at night when the lights are on.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

T3rry1
Explorer
Explorer
yeah i am pretty well versed in vinyl, i make stickers and stuff, and i know this stuff is not intended to be perminent, it's intended to be a temporary advertising medium, so it wont be as durable as tint, but it's a lot cheaper and very easy to reapply, just looking more for info on any cons of using it, i suppose that is one, but one that i am ok with.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Our windows are factory tinted so we don't have any real experience with either product but our friends had perforated vinyl professionally installed on their RV several years ago. They're not happy with it because it has peeled up in a few places. It's installed on the exterior of the windows so I guess it get abused more than an interior tint film would.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis