cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire load inflation chart

slides
Explorer
Explorer
After reading a lot of post on this forum I went to my to find this chart for my tire brand. The only info. I can find is max PSI. I'm not seeing any mention of how much PSI for a given load. Can someone tell me where I can find this info. Seems I'm not good and searching the Web. My tires are the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain size LT275/65R20E.
Thanks
! 
!
2012 F-350 King Ranch 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2009 31SB Cardinal 5er

Use And Promote CB Channel 13
17 REPLIES 17

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
wintersun wrote:
The tire manufacturer's inflation chart is not going to provide accurate information for a specific vehicle. Use the tire pressures shown on the door jamb of the vehicle as those values are calculated by the factory.

If after 3,000 miles you see more wear in the center or at the sides of the tire, then make an adjustment. Otherwise leave them at the vehicle manufacturer's specs.

When the factory calculated the tire pressure for a specific vehicle, how did they know how much weight each of us would add to the truck?? They didn't. Instead, tire pressure listed on the door jamb is what is needed to meet the manufacturer's stated GAWR, just like it states. But when there is almost 4000 lbs difference between empty and max load, I don't use the same PSI for both because it can't be the right pressure for both conditions. That is the value of a load inflation chart.

Also, when you change from P rated to LT rated tires, the doorjamb values become useless.

When I switched to LTEs, the dealer only pumped them up to the door jamb value (35psi) and insisted that was correct. Michelin said that using 48psi on the new LTEs would give the same weight rating as the old Ps. So I now run 50-60psi, depending.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
Phone the manufacturer. I was doing the same for my Michelins. I called Michelin and they gave me the chart over the phone.
BF Goodrich
1-888-871-6666
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (M-F)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Sat.)
(Eastern Time)

Some interesting reading under this recent post in Beginning RVing

tire pressure
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dayle1 wrote:
wintersun wrote:
The tire manufacturer's inflation chart is not going to provide accurate information for a specific vehicle. Use the tire pressures shown on the door jamb of the vehicle as those values are calculated by the factory.

If after 3,000 miles you see more wear in the center or at the sides of the tire, then make an adjustment. Otherwise leave them at the vehicle manufacturer's specs.

When the factory calculated the tire pressure for a specific vehicle, how did they know how much weight each of us would add to the truck?? They didn't. Instead, tire pressure listed on the door jamb is what is needed to meet the manufacturer's stated GAWR, just like it states. But when there is almost 4000 lbs difference between empty and max load, I don't use the same PSI for both because it can't be the right pressure for both conditions. That is the value of a load inflation chart.

You have a brain and are using it!

Those door label numbers are a CYA for the auto MFG!

I easily get over 100K on my tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wandering1 wrote:
Real simple, run the PSI you see on the sidewall. That is what the tire is designed for. Running the tires over or under inflated will cause the tire to overheat which will cause damage.

Oh really? Load range E tires all say 80psi. A 2500 unloaded truck running 80psi all around will result in premature tire wear and reduced stopping ability.

They don't publish load/inflation charts for no reason!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

Bingo! When I run empty during the off season, fronts are 62, rears at 54. Tires wear evenly, no heat build up and it's not like you're riding a donkey from the left coast. :B

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

slides
Explorer
Explorer
I though about using the number on the door sticker when running empty but what I didn't understand is 80 psi in the rear and 65 psi in the front when there is an engine in the front and nothing to speak of in the rear. Seems kind of backward to me, but I'm no tire tech :).
2012 F-350 King Ranch 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2009 31SB Cardinal 5er

Use And Promote CB Channel 13

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yes pressure/load charts can vary between the tire manufactures a small bit but from what I've seen its not enough to worry about or at least I didn't worry. :B
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:
brulaz wrote:
Do the load inflation tables for the same size LT tire vary by manufacturer?

Somewhere I got the idea that they were standardized by some tire industry group.

No, they should not vary at all. All load range C tires will be the same, as well as D, and E tires.

Well then Toyo has published the TRA Load Inflation tables, and the O.P.'s size can be found toward the end of this guide:
http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/loadinflationtable.pdf

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

Somewhere I got the idea that they were standardized by some tire industry group.

No, they should not vary at all. All load range C tires will be the same, as well as D, and E tires.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/load_pdf/loadTables.pdf

I would email BFG and ask them for a web page for your size.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Real simple, run the PSI you see on the sidewall. That is what the tire is designed for. Running the tires over or under inflated will cause the tire to overheat which will cause damage.
HR