cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire size and availability

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at getting new tires for my 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. They are currently the Goodyear SR/A that run to 51 psi and 1120 kg (2400 lbs). The thing is the size, 265/65/18. The only LT tire I can find in that size is the BFG all terrain AT2. The RAWR is 4300 lbs so a solid P rated tire will keep above that. My question is, what are other guys running in that size? Or am I better to step into a 275/65/18 that is a little heavier, wider, and taller, but comes with greater selection in a 10 ply?
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sgeorge wrote:
Nitto Terra Grapplers, have run these for the last two trucks. Great tires and wear well.

I missed where the op asked for brand advice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking the coopers might be the way. I have run cooper a few times and have had great success. We have a tire in Canada called the AT/W that is supposed to be good in winter. Gonna have to step up a size to get the LT model though but I think that's about my best bet.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If purchasing Goodyear I recommend the top line Goodyear Wranglerยฎ All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlarยฎ

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in Canada and drive in snow, do you really want a wider tire?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Nitto Terra Grapplers, have run these for the last two trucks. Great tires and wear well.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, the Cooper A/T3 is also available in a LT 265/65/18. But if you have the 3.42 gearing, I would just go with the 275/65/18. That's what I did on our '10 Chevy 1500. Never noticed a difference in acceleration or anything regardless if towing or not. And the 275's were cheaper than the 265's by a fair amount!!!

I agree a LR E is not needed, but I would probably still go with a LT LR C. That's what I put on my '10 and was very happy with them towing ~7200lbs with ~920lbs tw.

The Cooper A/T3 have a mileage warranty even in a LT model. And performance is awesome with it!!! In all conditions (except mud- didn't venture off into that!) they performed very well in the 11k miles we had them. The reason for only 11k miles is we stepped up to our current 2500HD. Not sure what part of Canada your in, but in traveling to Northern Michigan and the Sault Ste Marie, Ont area for snowmobiling, I never second guessed the A/T3's. They performed beyond expectation!!! I will probably be putting a set on this fall to replace our factory pos SRA GY's. Still trying to decide for sure due to wanting to go to an ever so slightly bigger tire, but the selection is limited in a 20" rim...

My buddy has been very happy with the Toyo Open County AT2. They also have a mileage warranty in.

Good luck deciding!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

blt2ski
There is NO reason to go to a LR E 10ply rated tire on your truck. If the P rated tires are doing fine, then stick with them. Just choose a tread pattern that fits your driving habit.

My sons put LR E tires on a GM 1500, and a Tacoma Tacoma, neither puts more than 40-45 lbs in the tires. So a P metric at 51 would be fine for them too!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm using the BFG all Terrain but I have a heavier truck and we do go off road. I've been very happy with them. Have you checked out Tire Rack (online) That site will give you a good idea of what's available.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper