cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire ware

TigerL
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned my tt today, wheels as well. I noticed the inside tread of the rear tires were pretty worn out. I have about 25k to 30k of miles on them. I'd expect them to be worn, however, just the inside rear. The axle looks ok. Just checking if that sounds like normal wear. Getting new tires this week. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
As was said, if the trailer wheels are in the correct alignment and the axle is not in overload, all 4 should wear even. Other than ST tires in the tandem setup can have side turning wear on the outside corner from road scrub in the turn. More like a radius wear rub on the outer tread corner. LT's in this same setup do not seem to do that as pronounced like ST's from what I have seen.

That said... you have an RV... Is this the first set of tires on the camper? Is this the first time you noticed wear?

It may have not been build right to start with and the other tires may have wear patterns too, just not as pronounced.

Some truck shops or trailer shops have trailer alignment machines and they can check everything. Before a fix can be done, need to know what is wrong.

I agree, get all 4 wheels weighed separately is best. Odds are high one wheel is heavier than the other.

If you want get into doing some checks yourself, let us know. There are simple ways to check for an axle which has loss of camber and some times a bent stub end which the axle tube is OK but the stub end is bent and the wheel is out.

Inside wear on a trailer often points to camber and/or the toe angle that is way out of spec. for that wheel. Causes can be several in how those conditions came about.

I myself would check it out before putting new tires on.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If only one tire is showing bad wear, then a bent axle from curbing or a pothole etc. likely is the culprit.
Since both tires on this axle is showing bad wear, then it is like losing it's camber due to overloading. I would visit the scales as a first step to see. If it is only slightly over loaded, then the fix may be as simple as lightening the load, and hopefully the camber springs back. Or the camber loss could be permanent. Then you would need to get it recambered, or better yet replaced with a heavier axle to keep it from happening again.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Could be weight or alignment, but at 25 to 30K on the tires and they aren't showing steel belts, its not too bad.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
as a general rule, the wear on all 4 tires should be even .... if both rear tires show irregular wear, there is an issue .... most likely an issue with the axle .... if the wear has been from day one and it has taken so many miles to show, the issue is probably minor .... that isn't to say it shouldn't be addressed .... if it is a recent development, something must have changed and you need to find out what that is

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Inside wear usually indicates an overloaded situation.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that the camber on the axle is out of spec.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU