cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires again with a twist

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Traded my 07 ram 1500 with 20 inch wheels for 15 silverado 1500 with 20 inch wheels. The payload on the ram was only 1100 lbs because of the twenties. Towing 5000 lb trailer I was maxed on payload but comfortable because I had good Lt tires.Towed without issues. The silverado has P rated tires that I plan on running max PSI. with a payload of 1650 lbs. I have the payload number I need but wondering what I can expect going from a Lt tire to a P tire. I know the 2 trucks are apples and oranges,and I am going to miss that hemi but not sure what to expect with the tires. Anybody out there that has gone LT to P Dave
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Softer sidewalls...squishy feeling vs LT Tire

This^
Your truck isn't going to self destruct with P tires and being dubs they won't even be too squishy. Y not just hook up and tow?
Not sure what advice you're looking for....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Feel more confident. Heading out wed for 300 miles, will report back next week. Dave

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Traded my 07 ram 1500 with 20 inch wheels for 15 silverado 1500 with 20 inch wheels. The payload on the ram was only 1100 lbs because of the twenties. Towing 5000 lb trailer I was maxed on payload but comfortable because I had good Lt tires.Towed without issues. The silverado has P rated tires that I plan on running max PSI. with a payload of 1650 lbs. I have the payload number I need but wondering what I can expect going from a Lt tire to a P tire. I know the 2 trucks are apples and oranges,and I am going to miss that hemi but not sure what to expect with the tires. Anybody out there that has gone LT to P Dave

I towed all the way to the East Coast with the OEM "P" rated tires at maximum inflation. I have a 2011 Silverado. My 5,500 pound trailer towed fine with those tires.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I went from terra grapplers recently to a copper lsx plus. more on the p rated side. I feel a little softness nothing drastic, the cooper is rated at 44 PSI for 2650 lbs. the terra was 50 PSI for 3200 Lbs.

Again both on 110 plus worn off tokico shocks. now I added the bilsten 4600 to the rear. its awesome
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
20's have less sidewall so the flex won't be as prevalent, unless you're talking about 42" Super Swampers. Then you're gonna have plenty of sidewall flex...

If these are just typical dubs and meant for the truck then they'll handle fine as long as they're used within their ratings.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally softer feel. What are the tire dimensions?
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 6000lb TT with a Chevy Express Van and P-rated tires instead of the LTs. No noticeable difference between the two as far as sway or turns. I make this choice because The van is quieter and smoother on the Ps. I do use WD and anti sway friction bar.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks OB, My worry is I had no sway with the Ram, and I certainly would like no sway with the Chev. Not running any sway control and standard WDH hitch. Did a test pull today but did not hit the highway. Heading out next week, so will definetly find out. Loved the integrated brake control. Dave

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Softer sidewalls...squishy feeling vs LT Tire
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31