cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for a R Pod 172 camper

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow Campers: I am sure that this subject is discussed in depth somewhere on this forum, but am seeking advice on tires. I have a 2010 172 R Pod camper that I bought from the original owner. I have had it now for about 6 months learning all about it and seeing how all of the appliances, etc., work. I have not taken it on a camping trip yet. In looking at the tires, I think the ones that are on it are probably the original tires. I did not ask the po if he had ever changed them, and he did not use the pod that much, so, I think they are probably original. Needless to say, i want to change them before I put it on the road to go camping. What tires would you recommend? What do you have on yours? What to buy and what to stay away from? This camper is small and is a single axle. Trailer weight empty is about
2700 lbs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
There a couple of those rpod "hood river editions" in the storage area here at this resort, and I believe they may have the original factory tires on them. Both of them have either P or LT tires. I'll look at them when I go out for my bike ride today, and report back.

EDIT: I just looked at the factory website, and it says 235/75-15 off road tires. I think that is what I saw on these trailers here, were some sort of off road tread pattern like you'd see on a small truck.

EDIT 2: just went and looked at that R-pod, has "mudstar LT" on it.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the DOT code on the tires to determine their age which will be an indication if they are the original tires.

If the trailer mfg reccomends ST tires, I'd go with Maxxis tires.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on OEM wheel/tire size.
I keep P rated (44-51 psi) on all my single axle and lite weight tandem axle trailers under 6k lbs.

Whats great about a P tire is it is available anywhere and will travel at any highway speeds.
Tires on a single axle trailer don't have any side scrub issues like a multi axle trailer so no need for those heavy stiff sidewalls in a C or D tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis Tires
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!