cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for Towing 20k 5ver and Snow at altitude

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
Our tow vehicle Michelin LTX M/S^2 tires are needing to be replaced. We have been spending winters in AZ. However, things are changing a bit for us and we will be spending the winters in a cabin at 9500ft elevation in Co.

I know many folks recommend summer and winter tires. However, we actually don't do a lot of driving. Maybe 10k/yr. So two sets of tires is hard to justify.

That said, we are looking for a tire that will hold up to towing our 20k toy hauler but also handle driving up a mountain road in the winter. This road is maintain but does get a little slick in a few spots. Our truck is a 2016 Ram 3500 Megacab Diesel 4x4 DRW with 4.10 axle.

Our Michelin LTX M/S^2's have served us very well. I have no idea if they are the best tire for snow though. We had some folks up on the mountain recommend the Goodyear Duratracs which look to be somewhere more aggressive tread. So not sure how they would hold up towing. Going forward though we are likely only towing the RV a few hundred miles each year. If however that changes to be more I'd like a tire that is still a good towing tire. After all it's a diesel drw. That's what it does 🙂

That's my story! Would love some feedback even if it hurts 🙂
38 REPLIES 38

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Because you recommended them. Only reason.
And if you’d run them before, you likely wouldn’t have, based on the OPs intended use (aside from the snow part. They’re great there)
I recommend the top line Goodyear.

Lots of people are disappointed in the "wranglers" and there are some top line and low line wranglers. If shopping price get a different brand for a cheap tire.

My All Terrain get beat hard on desert rocks. Have performed well IMO on sand, mud, snow, rain and even dry pavement. For deep wet sloppy heavy snow like we often have in California I have link chains for all four corners and cables for the trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
30k pic would not load this pic is at around 27k.

Snow??? WTF is that!!! Truck gets stored in the shop while I'm in the SW for the Winter.

It's a quiet long wearing tire and has the traction I need when needed. I WILL buy again!

Idk. Call me crazy but I thought there were hints that the OP was looking for a good snow tire.…

Could be but ya know things get all sidewayZ. Could have been an adult bev involved. :B

Actually they have not slipped one bit in the shop with some snow flurries lately.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:
I snow plow in the winter with my truck when it's not towing, I've been using Nitto Tera Grappler G2 on my last 2 trucks with great success .. Nice highway wear and not loud, great snow traction, and good mileage ..

Yup Terra Graps are a great do it all AT with better than avg snow performance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Top line Goodyear always gets my nod. Duratrac or Wrangler All Terrain.

How many sets of Duratracs have you run?
NONE. Been running All Terrain or the previous equivalent for over 20 years.

Why?

Because you recommended them. Only reason.
And if you’d run them before, you likely wouldn’t have, based on the OPs intended use (aside from the snow part. They’re great there)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:

NONE. Been running All Terrain or the previous equivalent for over 20 years.

Why?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Snow??? WTF is that!!! Truck gets stored in the shop while I'm in the SW for the Winter.

It's a quiet long wearing tire and has the traction I need when needed. I WILL buy again!

Idk. Call me crazy but I thought there were hints that the OP was looking for a good snow tire.…

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I use the Sailun terramax AT's. used to use BFG AT KO2s but the sailun's I have found are a much better tire that also last longer. I have no issues towing my 5th wheel over the highway from hell in the winter.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I snow plow in the winter with my truck when it's not towing, I've been using Nitto Tera Grappler G2 on my last 2 trucks with great success .. Nice highway wear and not loud, great snow traction, and good mileage ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ridge graps, great tire in most conditions except snow. And not the best in rain but decent.
New, they’re ok. Siped they’re better but siped and heavy axle loads reduces treadlife quicker than not.
The more transverse tread pattern is not great for water evacuation and not snowflake rated (for a reason).
Ridge graps, Toyo RTs and similar tread designs are not preferable in the snow.
Terra Graps are better snow tires even not siped.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The Ridgegrapplers are a popular tire here. Mostly on the lifted pickups and Jeeps crowd. I have talked to numerous people that run them. Most like them, the biggest issue is price and wear rate. I ran the EXO Grappler for several years. Excellent heavy duty tire (also expensive). I had to sipe them at 50% due to losing all factory siping and they got squirrelly on ice. That first 50% is truly impressive.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
30k on these US Made NITTO RidgeGrapplers. Very happy with them. I pull 7.500# boat and trailer out of the water rarely using 4wd.

Pic coming!