cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

huskym1025
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my tires on my 25' TT, dual axle, so there are 4 tires total. The tires that are on the TT now are a load C. Should I put the same load class on or move on to a Load D tire? Do I need to have the tires balanced? Also, has anyone had any problems with the Goodyear Marathon or Towmax tires? BTW, my specs for my TT are... UVW 4680 and GVWR 7500. Thanks!
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2000 25' FB Timberland Travel Trailer
19 REPLIES 19

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another happy GY Marathon user for almost 17 years (1996 to 2013) and 100K miles of towing. Only had one flat and zero tire failures. Since our new trailer was maxing out the OEM GYs when it was time to replace them I went with new wheels and the Kumho 857s and after about 5K no problems with those either.

Oh also since NVH is not a consideration I see no reason to have TT tires balanced so for the last 40 years that is what I have done and haven't seen any negative downside.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Clockman wrote:
One of the Best Trailer tires ive used were made by Duro. Held up better and never a blow out with them, every other brand ive used blew out after three years or sooner

Second on duros. I ran a set of their bias plys for 9 years. I have run tow masters with success to.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Tireman9
Explorer
Explorer
thib2722 wrote:
Go with E -- that's a ten ply. You'll get much better towing. Anything less than ten ply -- for me at least -- just had too much tire wall flex. You could feel it in the towing. Much less sway with a ten ply for me. The trailer just follows perfectly straight. I never balance my trailer tires. With all the movement in the trailer, you'll likely not notice it anyway.

You do realize that your Load Range E tires do not have ten plies. In fact they may have only one or two actual sidewall body ply layers. You can learn the facts by simply reading the tire sidewall.

It is the air pressure that carries the load, not the tire sidewall.
40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
:)Had Goodyear Marathons on our JAYCO, about 3 years later the tires were not fit to stay on the trailer. We replaced the tires with Hercules tires, 10 ply and all were balanced. Have about 600 miles on the new tires and the trailer tows much better. I think we have 225/75/ 15 tires

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
One of the Best Trailer tires ive used were made by Duro. Held up better and never a blow out with them, every other brand ive used blew out after three years or sooner

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
Go with E -- that's a ten ply. You'll get much better towing. Anything less than ten ply -- for me at least -- just had too much tire wall flex. You could feel it in the towing. Much less sway with a ten ply for me. The trailer just follows perfectly straight. I never balance my trailer tires. With all the movement in the trailer, you'll likely not notice it anyway.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Currently there is a similar thread in the Towing section :

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28026787.cfm

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Like the OP I am looking for new tires. My problem is, I have 4 load range C tires rated at 1820# per tire or 7200# per four. My TT has a gross weight max of 7700 # so I guess the factory assumes at least 500# on the tongue. :h Fortunately I do not come close to the max load.

My plan was to switch to load range D but I have not yet found an ST 205 75 R 15 in that load range. According to the internet they are out their but I have not found a local source.

Since the objective is to pick the best third world country you wish to have build your tires; I plan on dealing with my local tire guy and getting the full replacement guarantee.

If you look up โ€œTire Safety with Roger Marbleโ€ on the web you can get a good overview of tire types and functions including blowouts.

I am in the same situation as you only my GVWR is slightly higher yet. I have a 2014 Wildwood with no brand of tire I have ever heard of. The spare came damaged and flat and I had another flat on our first long trip (dealer replaced the spare under warranty). I replaced both of them with Maxxis 205/75R15 LR D (upgrading from LR C). I was hoping to move up to 225/75R15 size but there is not enough clearance above the tires. I bought mine at Discount Tire, they did have to order them. I will replace the other 3 tires at the beginning of next season.

Discount Tire had LR D in stock, Carlisle brand. I have always had good luck with Discount Tire, and they are all over the place if you have an issue.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
rbpru wrote:
Like the OP I am looking for new tires. My problem is, I have 4 load range C tires rated at 1820# per tire or 7200# per four. My TT has a gross weight max of 7700 # so I guess the factory assumes at least 500# on the tongue. :h Fortunately I do not come close to the max load.

My plan was to switch to load range D but I have not yet found an ST 205 75 R 15 in that load range. According to the internet they are out their but I have not found a local source.

Since the objective is to pick the best third world country you wish to have build your tires; I plan on dealing with my local tire guy and getting the full replacement guarantee.

If you look up โ€œTire Safety with Roger Marbleโ€ on the web you can get a good overview of tire types and functions including blowouts.

If you have at least 6" wide rims, up-grade to 225 and load range E.
I've had good luck with them.

Another option with 15" wheels are the Goodyear Cargo G26 made in Germany, France, or Turkey. These are all position tires approved for trailer us. Largest application is on the Sprinter style EuroVans
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

If you have at least 6" wide rims, up-grade to 225 and load range E.
I've had good luck with them.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I don't know if anyone on this forum that has ever checked the balance of their brake drums/hubs. You will find that most are extremely out of balance and after correcting the tire balance a problem still remains. I balance the entire assembly on my trailers.

I have had my tires balanced in the past and now run centramatics, and both provided an noticeable improvement but the centramatics are better.

Since I don't ride in the TT it's subjective, but the interior seems less effected with the centramatics.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if anyone on this forum that has ever checked the balance of their brake drums/hubs. You will find that most are extremely out of balance and after correcting the tire balance a problem still remains. I balance the entire assembly on my trailers.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very happy with my Marathons. First set was load range B and 10 years old. Current set is load range C and good so far. The increase in tire pressure maximum from 35 psi (range B Max) to 50 psi (range C Max) seems to have made the biggest and best difference.